It’s grilling season, and that means it’s time to break out the bbq sauce!
But what about using that bbq sauce to marinate your steak? Is that a good idea?
Let’s find out.
Can You Marinate The Steak In Bbq Sauce?
Yes, you can marinate the steak in BBQ sauce. The vinegar in the BBQ sauce will help to tenderize the steak, and the flavors of the sauce will penetrate into the meat. This will result in a more flavorful and juicy steak.
Most BBQ sauces are made from a combination of tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and spices. Some variations may also include Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, mustard, and honey.
This means that just by using BBQ sauce, you get access to a lot of ingredients, thus saving time and effort.
Further, if you love the flavor of BBQ sauce, you anyways will be using it while grilling.
How To Marinate The Steak In Bbq Sauce?
BBQ sauce cannot be used as a standalone to marinate. You will have to add oil and other seasonings, herbs, etc. of your choice. If you want a more potent marinade adding other popular acidic ingredients such as juice, wine, etc. makes a lot of sense.
Ingredients To Prepare BBQ Sauce Marinade
There are numerous ways you can prepare your BBQ sauce marinade. There is no defined way here.
Here are some of the most popular ingredients used to prepare BBQ sauce marinade –
- 1.5 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt
The seasonings, herbs etc. can be modified based on your liking. Check out the list of our 40+ seasoning, herbs, etc; you can use in your marinades.
Even the proportions of the ingredients can be changed based on your tastes.
Here is a great video on preparing Korean BBQ marinade at home –
How To Marinate The Steak In BBQ Sauce Marinade?
Here is a quick step by step guide to marinating steak in BBQ sauce marinade –
- Combine all of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce marinade in a bowl or a resealable bag. You can use the ingredients mentioned above or any other.
- Add the steak to the bowl or bag, making sure that it is completely coated in the marinade. It is important to cover the steak completely with marinade while marinating because this allows the steak to absorb the maximum amount of flavor from the marinade. If the steak is not completely covered, then it will not absorb as much flavor and will not be as tender.
- Another important point is to use non-reactive cookware such as glass/plastic and not something like aluminum.
- Seal the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, up to 12 hours. The duration can be as long as 48 hours too. It all depends upon the end recipe.
- Cook asap after taking it out from the fridge
How Long Should You Marinate The Steak In BBQ Sauce?
According to USDA, you can marinate the steak in BBQ sauce for as long as 48 hours without any issues. The duration can even be longer, but then you risk the meat getting mushy due to the acidic nature of the marinade.
How long to marinate steak is also a function of what recipe you have in mind.
Most recipes need 6 to 12 hours of marination.
I hope this quick guide helped you with marinating steak in BBQ sauce.
Do share your feedback on it
Share this with other steak lovers!