Here is the most comprehensive guide on how to freeze and store roasted potatoes.
Several home cooks and I have found these methods and tips to work like a charm.
So, let’s get started.
- Quick Answer: Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
- How to Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
- Freezing Roasted Potatoes
- How Long Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
- How to Store Frozen Roasted Potatoes?
- How to Defrost Roasted Potatoes?
- Can You Refreeze Roasted Potatoes?
- Do Roasted Potatoes Freeze Well?
- Bottom Line
- Par-Boiled Potatoes
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Freezer-Safe Air-Tight Container or Ziploc Bag
- Prep and Cool: Get the par-boiled potatoes ready and let them sit in their steam for a while, and then cool down to room temperature.
- Shake and Spread: Shake the potatoes around to make them fluffier and then lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You could coat the potatoes in fat if you like.
- Flash Freeze: Leave the tray of potatoes in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight and let it set solid.
- Transfer and Seal: Pack the frozen potatoes into a freezer-safe air-tight container or Ziploc bag and seal it. If you are using a Ziploc bag, make sure to squeeze out all the excess air.
- Label and Freeze: Add a label with the best before date, and you are all set to freeze the potatoes for roasting.
You could check out this awesome video by “My Fussy Eater” on YouTube to see how it’s done -
Freezing Roasted Potatoes
If you have already roasted the potatoes and want to freeze the leftovers, you can follow this method instead.
Prep and Cool
After you make the roast potatoes let them cool down to room temperature.
Portion the Potatoes
Divide the potatoes into quantities you can easily consume in one meal.
Pack and Seal
Transfer the portioned roasted potatoes into a freezer-safe air-tight container or Ziploc bag and seal them.
Label and Freeze
Add a label on the container or bag with the best-before date, and you can freeze it till you need it next.
How Long Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
You can freeze the roasted potatoes for a year or so. But it would be best advised not to keep it in the freezer for so long.
If you are freezing leftovers or cooked roasted potatoes, it would be best to consume them within a couple of months.
Skip seasoning the potatoes if you plan to freeze them. The roasted potatoes can last much longer in the freezer if it has not been seasoned.
How to Store Frozen Roasted Potatoes?
You can store frozen roasted potatoes in any freezer-safe air-tight container or Ziploc bag. The key is to make sure that it is kept covered from being exposed to air or getting freezer burns.
If you are freezing big batches of roasted potatoes, the Ziploc bags are your best bet.
They can hold larger quantities and more separate portions, without taking up too much space in the freezer. But take care not to place heavy containers over it as it can damage the potatoes.
How to Defrost Roasted Potatoes?
If you have frozen the roasted potatoes ahead of roasting, you can skip the defrosting process and go right ahead to baking them.
In a pan of preheated oil, place the roasted potatoes and bake them till they are crispy and done.
If you are dealing with leftovers, the best way to thaw it would be to leave them in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight and let them thaw gradually.
This way, the potatoes will go through little to no change in their texture or taste.
Can You Refreeze Roasted Potatoes?
No, it is strongly recommended not to refreeze roasted potatoes. Repeated freezing can make the potatoes go grainy and mushy.
Especially if the potatoes had been frozen after it was roasted, there can be slight changes in texture and taste.
If you wish to avoid having to refreeze roasted potatoes, you can portion them beforehand into smaller quantities that you can consume in one go and freeze them separately.
Do Roasted Potatoes Freeze Well?
Yes, roasted potatoes freeze well, especially if it has been frozen before roasting.
It is one of the best ways to freeze them if you want to prep ahead of an event. If done right, it can last in the freezer for a whole year or more.
Cooked roasted potatoes don’t freeze as well as freeze-ahead roasted potatoes. The spices and seasoning can shorten its freezer life. But it is as good as new for the first couple of weeks in the freezer.
I hope this article helped you freeze and store roasted potatoes.
If you have any doubts or would like to share some tips on freezing roasted potatoes, it would be great to hear from you.
Feel free to share this article with your friends and family to help them with their meal prep.