Chimichurri is a flavorful, herby sauce that originates from Argentina.
But can you marinate steak in chimichurri?
Let’s find out.
- Can You Marinate Steak In Chimichurri?
- How To Marinate Steak With Chimichurri Sauce?
- Chimichurri Marinade Tips
- Best Steak For Chimichurri Steak?
- How Long Can You Marinate Steak In Chimichurri Sauce?
- In the End
Can You Marinate Steak In Chimichurri?
The answer is yes! Chimichurri makes an excellent marinade for steak because it’s packed with flavor, and, thanks to vinegar, it also helps to tenderize the meat. Plus, it’s super easy to make at home. So if you’re looking for a new way to spice up your steak dinner, try marinating your steak in chimichurri sauce.
A good marinade recipe needs to have – oil (to keep the moisture intact, to help in grilling, etc.), acid (it helps to break down the tough fibers in meat, making it more tender), and flavors (seasonings, herbs, spices and more).
To check if chimichurri satisfies all these requirements, we first need to understand what chimichurri sauce is!
What Is Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri is a traditional Argentine sauce made from parsley, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. It is typically used as a condiment for grilled meats, but can also be used as a marinade or dipping sauce.
It is tangy and slightly spicy, with a bright flavor that complements grilled meats well.
Is Chimichurri Sauce A Good Marinade?
Chimichurri sauce satisfies all these requirements – it has vinegar, which acts as an acid, it has olive oil and herbs, etc. for flavors.
Of course, you can add other spices, herbs, and even types of acids along with chimichurri sauce to prepare marinade, but even if you do not, it can be used as it is too.
How To Marinate Steak With Chimichurri Sauce?
Here is a step-by-step guide to preparing and using chimichurri marinade at home with ease.
Chimichurri Marinade Ingredients
First, let’s discuss the ingredients.
- 1/2 cup olive oil (better if you use Extra Virgin Olive oil)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 finely chopped fresh oregano oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
There are many other ways to prepare the sauce, here is a great video explaining the same –
How To Marinate Steak With Chimichurri Marinade?
Here are the steps –
- Apply/rub the marinade on the steak.
- Put the marinade in a glass bowl and place both steak and marinade in it. You can also use freezer bags to do this. Do not use reactive cookware.
- Seal the bags/cover the bowl
- Keep in fried for 6 to 12 hours. It is best to follow the time ideal for the recipe you plan to cook.
- Cook asap after taking out. You can cook along with the marinade or can remove the marinade.
Chimichurri Marinade Tips
It is super easy to prepare and use Chimichurri Marinade.
Here are some tips to keep in mind to ensure the best results –
- Make sure to use fresh herbs – dried herbs will not give the same flavor profile. This is very important. You can still prepare the marinade with dried ones, but the flavors will be different.
- Be generous with the herbs – they bring flavors to the marinade.
- If you want a little bit of heat, add in some red pepper flakes or diced chili peppers.
- Vinegar in the marinade helps break the meat and tenderize it. Thus, ensure you use reasonable about. You can also experiment with adding slight lemon juice too.
- Do not keep steak in marinade for a very long time (more than 2 days). This can make the meat mushy.
- This marinade is best used on grilled meats, so fire up the grill and get cooking!
Best Steak For Chimichurri Steak?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on personal preferences. Some people might prefer a leaner steak such as sirloin or filet mignon, while others might prefer a heartier cut such as ribeye or porterhouse.
Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide what type of steak is best for them when making chimichurri steak.
How Long Can You Marinate Steak In Chimichurri Sauce?
According to USDA, it is safe to marinate the steak in chimichurri sauce for up to 48 hours. If you marinate it for longer, the steak may become mushy. Most steak recipes will need much-shorter durations, though.
It is best to follow the time recommended by your steak recipe while marinating the steak. Most recipes need a minimum 4-6 hours of marination.
In the End
I hope this quick guide helped you use chimichurri sauce as a marinade for your steak.
If you have any tips to share, please comment below.
Do share this with all steak lovers, you know!