This is a comprehensive guide on how to use the microwave for defrosting bacon when needed.
I have personally used this method and is suggested by various chefs and popular food bloggers.
So let’s get right in the process so that you can easily thaw bacon at home as well.
- Quick Answer: How to Defrost Bacon in the Microwave
- How to Prep Bacon Before Defrosting it in the Microwave
- How to Defrost Bacon in the Microwave
- Tips to Remember while Defrosting Bacon in the Microwave
- Alternate Ways to Defrost Bacon
- How to Defrost Bacon Quickly
- How to Store Defrosted Bacon
- Is it Safe to Thaw Bacon in the Microwave
- Bottom Line
How to Prep Bacon Before Defrosting it in the Microwave
If you choose to defrost the bacon with its actual package, pierce some holes in it so that heat does not build inside.
If you want to defrost the frozen bacon after removing it from any plastic, place two paper towels on the dish. Then place the raw bacon.
After this place another paper towel on top before putting it inside the microwave. This will absorb the excess fat.
- Frozen bacon
- Paper towels
- Microwave safe-dish
- Microwave gloves
- A pair of tongs
- Kitchen scales (optional)
- Putting the bacon in the microwave: Place the meat after the initial preparation in the microwave.
- Entering the correct keys : Switch on the microwave and enter the defrost button.
When asked for the weight enter the correct input. Now click on start.
- Checking for progress: Once the right weight is entered the microwave will take about 5 mins to defrost the entire pound of bacon.
But always remember meat should never be left inside the microwave unattended.
To ensure uniform thawing put on your microwave gloves and take out the dish after every 1 min.
Flip the pieces over using the pair of tongs and place the dish back in the microwave and resume heating.
- Continue this cycle : This process of checking the meat after a 1 min interval is very necessary so that the bacon is not cooked during the thawing process.
Hence, this should be repeated as mentioned.
- Determining if thawed well : if you have a bulk of bacon at once you are separating the pieces as you go through with the process of thawing.
If microwaved in the correct way bacon does not lose its colour or texture.
So if your meat has achieved its correct softness and is no longer rock-solid, it's ready to be cooked.
Tips to Remember while Defrosting Bacon in the Microwave
- Entering the correct weight is always advisable because it enables the microwave to predetermine the time and temperature required.
- When you are placing the meat in the microwave wrapped in any packet, pierce it with a fork to make holes. This will ensure that no steam is built inside and minimise the risk of an explosion.
- Pause and microwave as you go along the process at suggested intervals else heat may build up inside the appliance.
- Do not leave the meat unattended in the microwave as the plastic may melt.
- If you have removed your bacon from its packaging don’t just place it plainly on a dish. Instead use paper towels so that it does not grease your microwave.
- To defrost bacon , the best way is to separate each piece so that it receives heat equally.
- The dish used should be microwave safe else it will melt and cause serious damage to both, your appliance and meat.
Alternate Ways to Defrost Bacon
As suggested by many renowned chefs and also the United States Department of Agricultural Food Safety and Inspection Service, when you don’t have a microwave you can defrost bacon safely by giving it a cold water bath or placing it in the refrigerator. Defrosting bacon in warm water is to be avoided as this might slightly cook the meat hence spoiling the flavour.
If you wish to defrost bacon in cold water, put it on a plate and place it in the sink. Do not remove it from its packaging.
If you have already done that then you put it in a resealable bag with all the air vacuumed out of it.
Turn on the tap. You should not plug the sink. Let the water flow. The pressure is good for your meat and it keeps the meat rotating and reduces the chance of a leakage.
1 pound of bacon will take up to an hour to be completely thawed using the cold water process.
Bacon can easily be thawed by simply taking it out from the freezer and storing it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. This is the most recommendable method if you have a lot of time at hand.
Refrigerating bacon is the best way as it maintains the moisture, flavour and also the texture of the meat hence giving the desired results.
How to Defrost Bacon Quickly
To quickly thaw frozen bacon, dip it in a bowl of cold water. The bacon should be inside a sealed packet so that water does not seep in. keep the bacon submerged inside the water and change the water after every 30 mins. This whole process will take 1-2 hours depending on the amount of meat.
The quickest way to thaw bacon is using the microwave as it takes the least amount of time i.e. around 5-10 mins. But what if you don’t have a microwave!
To thaw bacon then you must put the whole block or some pieces in a water- tight packing. Take a bowl of cold water and dip the bacon in it.
Remember to change the water after every 30 mins. After around an hour your bacon will be defrosted and you will be able to separate each piece easily.
How to Store Defrosted Bacon
Never attempt to store bacon after defrosting it. It should be cooked within 2 hours maximum. You can store the excess once it’s cooked in the refrigerator for up to 7 days before consuming it again.
According to the food safety guidelines laid down by the USDA, once defrosted by using the microwave or under cold water, bacon should be cooked right away.
You can always refreeze it after it’s cooked.
To store it properly, put it in an air-tight container before tossing it back into the freezer. Keep in mind that stored bacon should be heated and consumed within 7 days.
But if you had thawed the bacon in the refrigerator you can store it for 1-2 days before cooking.
Is it Safe to Thaw Bacon in the Microwave
Yes, it is safe to thaw bacon using a microwave if you heat at the right temperature and for the right time period. It is necessary to follow the tips mentioned above as precautionary measures to get the best thawed bacon.
When you are defrosting bacon in a microwave you should keep certain rules in your mind to ensure safe thawing.
The temperature provided should not be prolonged and the process needs to be checked after certain intervals.
After defrosting the meat should be cooked immediately and not left out at room temperature.
Bacon defrosted in the microwave will not have a ruined texture as long as correct heat was provided for the right amount of time.
To ensure this you should enter the correct weight of the meat before starting the process . Also, once defrosted bacon should be cooked immediately to avoid it becoming a thriving place for bacteria.
It is not advisable to cook bacon in its frozen state. It is always better to defrost any meat before cooking it because frozen meat takes longer to cook and might not cook evenly as compared to a defrosted bacon.
Frozen bacon when cooked seldom becomes crispy as it releases a lot of water. If you do not have any time at hand you can cook frozen bacon by slicing it horizontally with a sharp knife.
Then place the pieces in a skillet for cooking. It will separate into lardons and cook evenly.
I hope this detailed guide has helped you defrost steak at your place with ease.
If you have any queries feel free to let us know. We would love your feedback and use it to enrich our work further.
Do share this with your friends and family who love bacon to help them out as well.