This write-up is a comprehensive guide detailing the steps to melt American cheese in the microwave.
Keep reading to find out the procedures needed to melt American cheese in the microwave.
Home cooks and online food bloggers alike recommend using the microwave to melt American cheese quickly.
I have also tried this technique many times and it seems to work like a cakewalk!
Let’s jump right into the steps required to melt American cheese in the microwave.
- Quick Answer: How to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave?
- How to Prep American Cheese Before Microwaving
- How to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave1
- Tips to Remember While melting American Cheese in Microwave
- Alternate Ways to Melt American Cheese
- How to Melt American Cheese quickly
- How to Store Melted American Cheese
- Is it Safe to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave?
- How Long does it Take to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave?
- What Do You Do If American cheese Gets Lumpy?
- Why American Cheese Melts Well in the Microwave?
How to Prep American Cheese Before Microwaving
Take the cheese out of its wrapping. Chop or tear it into small pieces. Let it come to room temperature before microwaving.
Instead of placing large chunks of American cheese in the microwave, chop or tear it down to small pieces.
Let it sit on the countertop for 20-30 minutes. This would allow the cheese to come to room temperature and let the cheese melt evenly in the microwave.
- American cheese
- Microwave-safe bowl with a lid
- Non-stick spray
- Cornstarch/ evaporated milk
- Spoon/ spatula
- Putting American cheese in the microwave: Spray a microwave-safe bowl with nonstick spray and put the chopped-up American cheese.
Use an appropriate lid to cover the mouth of the bowl. Add a teaspoon of corn starch or evaporated milk to the cheese. Place the bowl of chopped-up cheese in the microwave.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Switch on the microwave. Set the heat to medium and melt the cheese for 30 seconds.
- Checking in between the process: Make sure to keep an eye on the cheese while it melts. After the 30 seconds is up, take the bowl out and stir the cheese well with a spoon or spatula.
- Repeat the process till the desired result is reached: If the cheese hasn’t completely melted, nuke it again at 10-second intervals till it reaches the desired consistency .
Tips to Remember While melting American Cheese in Microwave
Use these tips to melt your American cheese to perfection:
- It is advisable to chop, grate or cut your American cheese into smaller pieces before microwaving. This makes the melting process quicker.
- Remember to use a microwave-safe bowl or plate. Use a non-stick spray to prevent the cheese from sticking to the bowl.
- Adding a spoonful of cornstarch or evaporated milk to the cheese would help in avoiding it from separating too fast.
- Allow the cheese to reach room temperature before melting in the microwave. Let it rest on the kitchen top for about 20 minutes before moving on to the next step.
- If the cheese has lumps after microwaving, stir it well and place it back in the microwave for another 5-10 seconds.
Alternate Ways to Melt American Cheese
If using the microwave is not an option, American cheese can also be melted on the stove, or in a toaster oven.
While melting cheese on the stove, use medium heat and melt some butter. Add some milk and cornflour to it and whisk it well.
After it reaches a good consistency, take it off the flame and stir the cheese into the mixture.
Take a greaseproof paper and put the cheese on it. Place it in the oven and at 100 degrees Celsius, it starts to melt.
When it starts to liquefy take it out. It is a great way to melt American cheese for sandwiches.
How to Melt American Cheese quickly
American cheese can be melted quickly by using the microwave. It can be done without any fuss as well.
It only takes about 60 seconds to completely melt a batch of American cheese in the microwave. To speed up the process, slice or chop down the cheese into smaller pieces.
After microwaving, stir thoroughly with a spoon or spatula to get the creamy texture as well.
How to Store Melted American Cheese
Melted American cheese can be stored in the fridge after sealing and making it airtight.
Different kinds of cheese are stored differently. The harder the cheese, the longer it stays fresh. Since melted cheese is in a liquid state, it doesn’t stay fresh for long.
Do not keep it at room temperature for long. Wrap the container to make it airtight and put it away in the fridge.
Make sure to use it within a short period from storing or it will go stale.
Is it Safe to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to melt American cheese in the microwave. It is a convenient and effortless technique to get your American cheese melted in no time.
To be on the safe side, make sure to use a microwave-safe bowl coated with nonstick spray. Use an appropriate lid to cover the vessel.
This could avoid any spillage while melting in the microwave.Use medium power on the microwave and set short time intervals to avoid the cheese from getting burnt.
How Long does it Take to Melt American Cheese in the Microwave?
It only takes about 30 seconds to melt American cheese in the microwave when a medium power is used.
While microwaving American cheese, the time taken to melt depends on the power level set on the microwave.
If a high-power setting is used, the cheese would get melted in about 15 seconds. However, it is ideal to use a lower power setting to prevent any accidents.
To get a smooth texture, use 10-second increments afterward and stir well.
What Do You Do If American cheese Gets Lumpy?
To get rid of lumps in the American cheese when melted, add a little lemon juice or vinegar to the mix. The acidic nature of these liquids helps in removing the lumps.
Acidic fluids like lemon juice or vinegar work perfectly to resolve the issue of lumps in the melted American cheese. Otherwise, use wine or some beer.
This addition not only acts as a solution to the problem but also elevates the flavor profile of the melted cheese to another level.
To prevent the cheese from getting lumpy, make sure to add the corn starch before microwaving as well.
Why American Cheese Melts Well in the Microwave?
American cheese melts well in the microwave due to some elements present in its constitution. More than 50% of the cheese is made of naturally aged cheese.
The cheese contains sodium citrate which works as a great emulsifying agent. The acids and phosphates present in the mixture keep the calcium bonded rather than breaking away while microwaving.
When heated to a temperature above the melting point of the cheese, the chemical ingredients in it ensures the bonding of water and proteins to get a smooth and continuous texture.
I hope this article answered all your questions about melting American cheese in the microwave.
If you have anything more to add, do comment below or mail it to us.
Also, feel free to pass on the article to your loved ones who love American cheese in their food.