In this post, I am going to discuss the steps needed to melt gouda cheese in the microwave. Keep reading the article to find out how to melt gouda cheese without any mess.
The effort I put in to read through several food blogs and watch YouTube videos has shown that melting gouda cheese in the microwave is a very popular technique.
Furthermore, I have also successfully used this method to melt gouda cheese several times as well.
Without any further ado, let’s dive right into the first step!
- Quick Answer: How to Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave?
- How to Prep Gouda Cheese Before Microwaving
- How to Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave
- Tips to Remember While Gouda Cheese in Microwave
- Alternate Ways to Melt Gouda Cheese
- How to Melt Gouda Cheese quickly
- How to Store Melted Gouda Cheese
- Does Gouda Cheese Melt Easily?
- Why does Gouda Cheese not Melt?
- How Long does it Take to Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave?
How to Prep Gouda Cheese Before Microwaving
Remove the wax coating on the cheese. Let it come to room temperature before microwaving. Also, cut the gouda cheese into small pieces and put them in a microwave-safe bowl.
Gouda cheese is usually coated with red wax to prevent it from drying out. Before microwaving, remove the wax off the cheese.
Let the cheese sit on the kitchen top for about 20 minutes to let it come to room temperature. Then, slice, shred or dice the cheese into small portions to quicken the melting process.
- Gouda cheese
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Knife/ peeler
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Microwave glove
- Putting Gouda Cheese in the microwave – After removing the wax coating off the cheese and bringing it to room temperature, chop it into small pieces.
Spray a microwave-safe bowl with non-stick cooking spray and empty the gouda cheese into the bowl. Place the bowl of cheese into the microwave.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Switch on the microwave. Put it on a medium setting or use 50% power to melt the gouda cheese for 15 seconds.
- Checking in between the process: Keep checking in between the process. After 15 seconds put on a microwave glove and take the bowl out. Use a spoon/ spatula to stir the cheese well.
- Repeat the process till the desired result is reached: If necessary, place the bowl back in the microwave and repeat the process. Continue till the desired consistency is reached.
Tips to Remember While Gouda Cheese in Microwave
Review these steps to effortlessly melt gouda cheese in the microwave:
- Do not forget to spray a non-stick cooking spray on the microwave-safe bowl before melting in the microwave. Without the spray, the gouda may stick to the bowl.
- Always keep a watchful eye on the gouda while it is in the microwave. Do not let it overheat. Overheating could prevent it from melting properly.
- Remember to remove the wax from the cheese before melting since it is not edible.
- It is advisable to bring the gouda to room temperature, before proceeding to microwave it.
- Store the gouda wrapped in plastic wrap or use a food storage container and put it in the refrigerator.
Alternate Ways to Melt Gouda Cheese
Gouda cheese can be melted on the stove using a double boiler. Boil water in a pot and place the cut-up gouda cheese in a bowl over the water. In 15-20 minutes, the cheese will be melted. Remember to stir well while the cheese is melting.
While microwaving is a very quick way to melt gouda, it is safer to use the stove. Use a double boiler to melt the cheese. It takes about 15-20 minutes to melt.
It is necessary to remove the wax coating on the cheese and remember to slice, dice, or shred the gouda to speed up the melting process.
How to Melt Gouda Cheese quickly
Using the microwave is the quickest way to melt gouda cheese. It only takes about 30 seconds – 1 minute to melt the whole batch of gouda in the microwave.
To further quicken the process, the cheese is shredded or sliced into small, equal portions. Use a medium setting or 50% power on the microwave to melt the gouda.
How to Store Melted Gouda Cheese
It is not ideal to store melted gouda cheese for long. When taking cheese for use, remember to take only the required amount.
Prolonged exposure to room temperature stimulates the growth of harmful bacteria in the gouda.
While storing leftover gouda, wrap it in parchment paper or cheese paper to give it space to breathe. Avoid wrapping in plastic wrap to prevent suffocating it.
Does Gouda Cheese Melt Easily?
Acid content, the age of the cheese, and the heat used determine the melting point of the gouda.
Gouda cheese has a lower acid content than other cheeses. This helps gouda to melt easily. It needs only mild heat to melt.
Overheating gouda only makes it stringy and prevents it from attaining a creamy texture.
Young gouda melts better than aged gouda. The older the gouda, the harder it is to melt.
Why does Gouda Cheese not Melt?
Gouda is difficult to melt when it is aged. Young gouda melts better due to the moisture content in them. As gouda ages, it loses the moisture content in it raising its melting point.
When aged gouda is melted it becomes stringy or lumpy while young gouda becomes creamy.
How Long does it Take to Melt Gouda Cheese in the Microwave?
Gouda cheese takes only about 15-30 seconds to melt in the microwave. If needed, the process can be repeated to attain the desired consistency.
The type of gouda taken to be melted along with the amount of gouda taken are some of the factors which affect the time taken to melt gouda cheese.
Chopping the gouda into small portions and stirring continuously at regular intervals quickens the melting process.
Gouda is considered to be a good choice for melting.Gouda is considered a good choice for melting due to the high moisture content in the cheese.
This helps it to melt to a creamy consistency when heated at a medium temperature. However, overheating could make the cheese stringy and dry.
Gouda cheese has enough moisture content present in it. Young gouda cheese completely melts down at 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, aged gouda does not melt very well. It usually appears stringy on melting. This is due to the low moisture content in the cheese which prevents it from becoming creamy.
I hope this article helped in clearing all your questions about melting gouda cheese in the microwave.
If you think you have anything more to add to this article, feel free to comment or send us an email.
Do share this write-up with your friends and family who frequently work with gouda cheese