This article is a complete guide to melt string cheese effortlessly in the microwave. Follow the simple steps detailed in the write-up to get perfectly melted string cheese.
Home cooks around the world use the microwave to melt string cheese.
From the research I have done online, it is clear that food enthusiasts and culinary experts also recommend this technique.
Let’s get started with the first step, the preparation of string cheese before melting in the microwave.
How to Prep String Cheese Before Microwaving
Before microwaving string cheese, remove it from the plastic packaging it comes in. Empty it into a microwave-safe plate. Slice the cheese into smaller pieces.
It is easier and quicker to melt sliced up string cheese rather than melting sticks or blocks of it.
- String Cheese
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Putting string cheese in the microwave: remove any wrappings on the cheese sticks.
Place it in a microwave-safe bowl and piece it into thin portions. Put the bowl with the cheese in the microwave.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Switch on the microwave. Choose the high option on the microwave’s settings and heat for 1-1 ½ minutes.
- Checking in between the process: Keep an eye on the cheese while it is melting in the microwave. After 90 seconds, take it out of the microwave and check the progress.
- Repeat the process till the desired result is reached: If necessary repeat the process to get the desired consistency.
Tips to Remember While Melting String Cheese in Microwave
Keep these tips in mind while melting string cheese in the microwave to get perfectly melted cheese:
- Do not melt the string cheese without removing the packaging. The packaging may not be microwave friendly. The wrapper may melt and could even affect the taste of the cheese.
- Remember to chop the cheese into small pieces before microwaving to speed up the melting process.
- If the string cheese is microwaved without cutting it up, rotate the plate at regular intervals to evenly distribute the heat.
- Always use a microwave-safe bowl to keep the cheese in while microwaving to be on the safe side.
- Unlike other cheese, string cheese shouldn’t be mixed with other substitutes like milk. This could lead to lump formation, affecting the texture of the melted cheese.
Alternate Ways to Melt String Cheese
Microwaving is the most frequently used method to melt string cheese.
It is the best way to get perfectly melted cheese quickly and without any fuss. Thus, it is highly recommended to microwave your string cheese rather than use other techniques.
How to Melt String Cheese quickly
String cheese can be melted very quickly in the microwave. To speed up the process, evenly spread out the cheese in the bowl.
It would be a good idea to divide the cheese into small portions rather than microwaving big pieces.
How to Store Melted String Cheese
It is advisable to melt only the adequate quantity needed rather than melting a whole packet of string cheese since it is difficult to store melted cheese string.
Melted string cheese should not be kept at room temperature for too long due to contamination from microbial growth.
To avoid any wastage, use all the melted cheese in your recipe rather than keeping it in the refrigerator.
Is it Safe to Melt String Cheese in the Microwave?
The answer is yes. It is perfectly safe to use the microwave to melt string cheese in the microwave.
Always make sure to remove the individual packaging and use a microwave-safe bowl to put the cheese in.
Monitor the cheese while it is being melted and prevent it from prolonged heating which could burn the cheese.
How Long does it Take to Melt String Cheese in the Microwave?
String cheese melts quickly in the microwave. It only needs 1-1 ½ minutes to completely melt.
A variation in melting time could be due to the quantity of string cheese used.
Microwaving string cheese without portioning it out into small pieces could also affect the melting time. Still, melting string cheese in the microwave is the best and quickest method.
At What Temperature does String Cheese Melt?
String cheese starts to melt when it reaches a temperature of 32 degrees Celsius, that is, 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Adequate monitoring is required when the cheese is put in the microwave to melt. Ensure even melting of the cheese to avoid an irregular texture in the melted cheese.
Rotating the bowl of cheese at regular intervals and evenly placing the cheese portions in the bowl could resolve the problem of uneven heating.
Why Does String Cheese Not Melt?
String cheese does not melt to a great degree because it is a low moisture cheese with a low amount of fat content.
The lack of sufficient moisture and fat affects the degree to which string cheese melts to a great extent.
Melted string cheese does not attain the creamy texture as most other cheeses would. It only becomes soft without losing its shape and decomposing into a watery sauce.
I hope this article helped you in finding the answer to the question, how to melt string cheese in the microwave.
If you have something more to add on the topic, do mention it in the comments or write to us via email.
Also, feel free to share the write-up with your friends who enjoy having string cheese in recipes.