In this article, I have explained how to steam and cook carrots in the microwave.
The method is super easy and doesn’t require a lot of your time. I have used this method to steam carrots for a very long time now and it works like a charm.
Keep reading to find everything you need to know about Microwaving Carrots.
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Carrots?
- How To Prep Carrots For Microwaving?
- How to Microwave Carrots?
- Tips for Microwaving Carrots
- How to Microwave Baby Carrots
- How to Cook Carrots Quickly?
- Is it Safe to Microwave Carrots?
- How to store microwaved Carrots?
- How Long Do Cooked Carrots Last?
- How Long Should I Microwave Carrots?
- Bottom Line
How To Prep Carrots For Microwaving?
First things first, clean the carrots properly. Trim the ends using a sharp knife. To prepare carrots for microwaving, peel the outer hard part of the carrots. Slice large carrots into half-inch-thick rounds.
If you are using baby carrots, there is no need to chop them before steaming. For store brought carrots, it is safe to rinse them under cold water before proceeding further to cook.
- Microwave-safe dish/ Ziploc bag
- Microwave-safe lid/ Plastic wrap.
- Paper towels
- Using a Ziploc bag or microwave-safe bowl: Dry the carrot pieces using paper towels.
Place the carrots in a Ziploc bag and keep a portion of the zip open to let the steam escape. Add enough water for your carrots to steam properly.
You can also use a microwave-safe bowl and after placing the carrots in it, seal using plastic wrap.
It is best not to shut the lid airtight on the carrots as the steam will build up and cause the container to explode.
- Adjust the settings on the microwave: Turn the microwave on. Place the bowl in the microwave. Cook on high for 3 minutes.
Take the bowl out of the microwave. Be careful the steam will be very hot.
- Nuking: Nuke the carrots in 30-second intervals, if the carrots are not properly cooked yet.
Serve and enjoy!
The microwaving times will depend on the thickness of the chopped pieces. Adjust accordingly.
Tips for Microwaving Carrots
- Properly cooked carrots do not resist when poked by a fork. Make sure the carrots are tender before serving.
- The quantity of the carrots to be steamed will also change the microwaving time. It is better to start with the highest recommended time for a large batch of carrots.
- One pound of fresh raw carrots requires ¼ cup of water for steaming in the microwave.
- It is better to underdo the carrots while cooking, then increase the time by nuking in small intervals
- You can also use a damp paper towel instead of a lid to cover the carrots.
- Make sure the temperature of the carrot reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, as carrots are a perishable item.
- Make sure to not overcook the carrots. It is best to cook carrots in 1-minute intervals to ensure proper cooking throughout.
- Add melted butter and condiments of choice after the initial 3-minute interval.
- Be very careful when removing the lid from the steamed carrots as the steam will be extremely hot and can cause burns.
How to Microwave Baby Carrots
Slice baby carrots in half. Place them in a microwave-safe bowl. Add an appropriate amount of water. Cover the bowl loosely with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the microwave. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Check for doneness. Increase microwaving time in 30-second increments.
Baby carrots are a wonderful alternative to regular carrots. When microwaving baby carrots, make sure to discard the original packing. Do not use it in the microwave.
Two cups of baby carrots require 4 tablespoons of water. Transfer the baby carrots after slicing in the middle to a microwave-safe bowl or a Ziploc bag.
Rinse pre-washed baby carrots under water and pat them dry using paper towels to ensure the carrots are fresh.
Season with salt and pepper after the carrots are done.
How to Cook Carrots Quickly?
The quickest way to steam carrots is by using a microwave. Peel the carrots and dry them. Put in a microwave–safe bowl. Add a few tablespoons of water and microwave for 3 minutes. Flip the carrots over and microwave in 30-second intervals until the carrots are done.
It is best to microwave any food item in small intervals to let the heat distribute evenly. The best possible way to microwave carrots is to do so in 1-minute intervals.
The microwaving times will also depend on the wattage of the microwave and the thickness of the carrot slices.
Baby carrots soften pretty quickly. Discard the original packaging when microwaving baby carrots.
Is it Safe to Microwave Carrots?
Yes, it is safe to Microwave Carrots. Make sure the carrots have enough moisture. Microwaving will lead to a change in the taste and texture of the carrots due to uneven heating. Microwaving can sometimes lead to spark generation. It is better to boil carrots in a pot.
It is safe to microwave carrots. Carrots can sometimes lead to arc generation in the microwave. Arcing doesn’t harm the food. It is best to steam carrots in a pot.
Carrots are perishable and should be cooked to temperatures of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 65 degrees Celsius.
Let the carrots sit in the microwave for 1 minute before serving to ensure proper cooking.
How to store microwaved Carrots?
Steamed carrots can be stored at temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool and drain excess moisture from the carrots. Seal the carrots in an airtight bag or an airtight container before refrigerating.
It is advised to blanch carrots before freezing or storing them. Microwaving carrots does not necessarily lead to the inactivation of the enzymes in the carrots.
Microwaved carrots can easily be stored in freeze-resistant airtight bags or containers.
Place the carrots in an airtight container leaving ½ inch headspace between them. Seal and pop in the freezer or refrigerator
How Long Do Cooked Carrots Last?
Steamed carrots can last up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and properly blanched carrots can last up to 9 months in the freezer when blanched and sealed in a Ziploc bag. After cooking, the carrots shouldn’t be left at room temperatures (40 degrees Fahrenheit and above) for more than 2 hours.
Carrots once cooked can be stored in Ziploc bags at temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooked carrots last up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 9 months in the freezer.
If the appearance of the carrots has changed or they smell or taste bad on reheating, discard immediately.
How Long Should I Microwave Carrots?
It takes an average of 5 to 10 minutes to microwave carrots. The microwaving times of an egg depend on how thick the slices of carrots are the kind of carrots that are being used. Baby carrots require far less microwaving time than regular carrots. Microwaving times also depend on the wattage of the microwave.
Microwave times vary for different wattage microwaves. It is best to microwave in 1-minute intervals for up to 3 minutes. Nuke in 30-seconds.
Keep the carrots in the microwave for 1 minute after cooking to ensure they are evenly heated and steamed.
The carrots require more time ( 1 to 2 min) in the microwave for microwaves with a wattage of 700 watts.
The carrots like many other vegetables are rich in minerals and ionic compounds. The carrots act as mini electrodes in the microwave and lead to a phenomenon known as “arcing.“
The best way to prevent this from happening is to add adequate moisture to the carrots when microwaving.
I hope this write-up was of help to you.
If you would like to add something write to us in the comments or mail your suggestions to us. We always appreciate the valuable feedback.
Share this article with all your loved ones.