Cup noodles play a very crucial role in the lives of teenagers, hostelers & every person who is too lazy to cook.
It has a questionable nutritional value but that is outweighed by its deliciousness & easiness of making it.
Making cup noodles in the microwave is one of the easiest methods to prepare it but only on one condition.
It should not be microwaved in the cup itself as that can lead to some undesirable chemical reactions which can be injurious to health.
So, this comprehensive article aims to help you microwave cup noodles the right & healthy way with clear tips & instructions on how to follow all the safety measures while doing it.
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Cup Noodles?
- How to Prepare the Cup Noodles before Microwaving
- How to Microwave Cup Noodles: The Basic Way
- How to Microwave Cup Noodles: The Fancy Way
- Tips to Remember while Microwaving Cup Noodles
- Alternate Ways to Make Cup Noodles
- How to Store Microwaved Cup Noodles
- Why Cup Noodles cannot be Microwaved in the Cup itself
- Bottom Line
How to Prepare the Cup Noodles before Microwaving
Always transfer the noodles from the cup to a microwave-safe bowl, preferably Pyrex glass, or ceramic ware.
Break the noodles to make the stirring easy & for even cooking. If you want long noodles, then keep the entire thing in a block.
If you want to make it a little healthy, then wash the vegetables of your choice & chop them beforehand.
If you are using frozen peas, sausages, minced meat then make sure to take it out of the freezer for 30 – 60 min & bring it to room temperature.
- A microwave-safe bowl, Pyrex glass, or ceramic ware
- 1 – 2 cups of water
- A vented lid
- Remove the noodles from the cup – Transfer the noodles from the cup to a microwave-safe bowl, preferably Pyrex glass or ceramic ware.
Break the noodles for easy stirring. If you want to have long slurping noodles, then leave it as a block.
- Add water, seasoning, then cover the bowl – Add 1 – 2 cups of water to the bowl of noodles.
Make sure that the water is sufficient enough to submerge the noodles so that it gets moist & soft easily . If you want it soupy then add more water.
Then add some seasoning powder if required & mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with a paper towel or a vented lid to contain the steam & to avoid any kind of spill.
- Microwave settings – Place the bowl inside the microwave & set the timer for 3 – 5 minutes & start to cook. Check the doneness & cook it for an increment of 30 minutes if needed.
- Keep stirring – Keep checking every minute with a fork if the noodle is boiled enough. Stir occasionally so that the spices don’t accumulate in one place.
If the noodle is in a block, then flip the block entirely.
- Remove the noodles from the microwave – Let the noodles rest for 3 minutes inside the microwave before taking the bowl out. After that, use a potholder to take the bowl out.
You can season the noodles with oregano, chili flakes, or any herbs of your choice & have it hot.
Preparation time: No such preparation required
Temperature: No need to set
How to Microwave Cup Noodles: The Fancy Way
Cook the vegetables/meat/tofu in the microwave. Transfer the noodles into a microwave-safe bowl & microwave it for 5 min.
Cover the bowl with a vented lid. Mix all the ingredients & cook it for another minute. Allow standing time & remove it when ready.
Prepare the vegetables
You can choose vegetables like beans, capsicum, bell peppers, carrots, peas, cabbage, spring onions, basil, spinach, etc. to add to your noodles.
Wash them & cut them into juliennes. You can also add any leftover cooked vegetables to the food.
Prepare the other ingredients
If you want to add tofu, sausages, or minced meat, then bring it out of the freezer & keep it at room temperature for at least 30 min.
Microwave the vegetables
Put 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a microwave-safe pan/bowl & add the chopped vegetables/tofu into it, add salt, pepper as per taste & microwave for 1 minute in full power.
Cover the dish with a vented lid. Stir it occasionally & microwave it for an increment of 30 seconds if needed. Do not overcook the vegetables & make it soggy. Stop cooking when it’s still a little crunchy.
Cook the frozen ingredients
Put 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a microwave-safe pan/bowl & add the minced meat/sausages into it. Add some salt, sauce, pepper as per taste. Cover with a vented lid.
Microwave it for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring for even cooking. Check every 30 seconds.
Remove the dish from the microwave when the food thermometer records the temperature of the cooked meat to be 165°F .Allow some standing time & don’t remove the dish instantly. Use potholders to handle the dish.
Prepare the noodles
Transfer the noodles into a microwave-safe bowl & add 1-2 cups water to it. Add more water if you want soupy noodles.
Make sure that the water is sufficient enough to submerge the noodles so that it gets cooked well & becomes transparent & soft.
Cover the bowl with a paper towel or a vented lid to contain the steam & to avoid any kind of spill.
Microwave the noodles
Cook the noodles for 3-5 min & keep stirring occasionally for even cooking. Check the doneness & cook it for an increment of 30 minutes if needed.
Mix all the ingredients
Remove the cooked noodles from the microwave & add all the cooked vegetables, meat, tofu into it.
Add some sauce like 1 tablespoon of soya sauce or hoisin sauce, meat sauce into the noodles for better taste.
Microwave as a whole
Place the food in the microwave & cover it with a vented lid. Microwave it for 30 – 60 seconds. Stir it in between & if it is already steamy then stop the process.
Remove the noodles from the microwave
Once the process is over, let the noodles rest for 2-3 minutes inside the microwave. Remove the lid carefully & use a potholder to remove the bowl of noodles.
You can add some seasoning to it & there goes your hot, lip-smacking noodles ready to be slurped!
Tips to Remember while Microwaving Cup Noodles
- Use microwave-safe containers – Use microwave-safe Pyrex glass or ceramic bowls to microwave the noodles. Do not use the Styrofoam cup to cook the noodles inside the microwave as it melts at high temperatures & the chemicals leaching into the food will be highly dangerous for consumption.
- Refrain from using metal or foam – Do not use any metal container in the microwave. Avoid using foam trays or aluminum foils, paper napkins & colored paper plates as they can melt or release toxins.
- Cover the bowl with a vented lid – Use a vented lid to cover the noodles so that the heat distributes all over the noodles evenly & there’s no spillage.
- Add water to the brim – Add enough water to submerge the noodles. It may not boil as it does on a stovetop but it surely gets evenly cooked. Insufficient water will make the noodles dry & they will remain uncooked.
- Check the temperature – If you are adding meat then check that the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165°F. This will ensure the absence of any microbes & the meat will be perfectly cooked at this temperature.
- Do not overcook the vegetables – Overcooking the vegetables will make them soggy & mushy. The nutrient value of vegetables is also affected due to overcooking. Stop cooking when it’s still a little crunchy.
- Bring the frozen meat/vegetables to room temperature – It is always a good idea to bring the frozen food to room temperature before microwaving it. In this way, the heat can work faster & it will take less time to cook.
- Keep stirring – Stirring will help cook the noodles/vegetables/meat evenly. It will help us understand the doneness of the item & prevent burning or overcooking.
- Allow standing time – To complete the cooking process, allow around 3 minutes of standing time to let the juices settle & blend in.
Alternate Ways to Make Cup Noodles
You can make cup noodles in the cup itself but you cannot cook it on heat, rather you need to mix it with hot water & let the steam make it soft & edible.
The Styrofoam cups in which they come are fine for holding any hot substance but it is unfit for cooking.
Open half the lid of the cup. Add the seasoning oil, sauce, flavoring agent to the noodles & pour boiling hot water into the cup.
Close the lid & wait for 3 min. Then mix it well & your instant cup of noodles is ready.
You can also check out this video from ‘Quick food recipe’ channel to make cup noodles instantly:
Cup noodles can also be made on a stovetop. Take a pan, put 1-2 cups of water. Put the noodles, seasoning oil, flavoring agents in it & cover it with a lid.
Cook on a medium flame for 5-7 min. Stir it occasionally. Remove the lid after some time & the noodles is ready.
How to Store Microwaved Cup Noodles
Cool the noodles to room temperature before refrigerating. Pack it in an air-tight container & store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. It should be consumed as fast as possible as instant noodles taste bland when not eaten days after cooking.
Cup noodles are rarely stored for consumption later. It is usually eaten instantly. If you are storing cup noodles, refrigerate the food after cooling to room temperature.
Don’t keep it for more than 2 days as the noodles will become dry & lose all the flavor.
Why Cup Noodles cannot be Microwaved in the Cup itself
The cup in which the noodles are packed is mostly made up of Styrofoam or other hazardous plastics.
The microwave rays change the chemical structure of the material & it tends to melt.
This may not be visible to us but there’s a high chance of the chemical leaching into the food & causing serious health issues.
So, make sure to transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl that does not have any harmful reaction when heated in a microwave.
Yes & No. It is safe to microwave cup noodles in a microwave-safe bowl like in glass or ceramic ware but it is not at all advisable to microwave it inside the plastic cup in which it is packaged.
I hope this comprehensive article helped you in cooking cup noodles in the microwave easily. If you have any queries regarding the process, feel free to ask us.
Also, if you know any other methods or tips please let us know so we can add them to our article to make it even better!
Do share this with your family & friends who may want to make cup noodles in the microwave & help them out too.