This write-up is a comprehensive guide detailing the steps to microwave frozen peas. Keep reading to find out the procedures needed to cook frozen peas in the microwave.
Home cooks and food bloggers alike use the microwave to quickly and effortlessly cook frozen peas.
I have used the microwave to get frozen peas cooked and it has always worked like a charm. Without further ado, let’s get started with the first step.
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Frozen Peas?
- How to Prep Frozen Peas Before Microwaving
- How to Cook Frozen Peas in the Microwave
- Tips to Remember While Cooking Frozen Peas in Microwave
- Alternate Ways to Cook Frozen Peas
- How to Cook Frozen Peas quickly
- How to Store Microwaved Frozen Peas
- Is it Safe to Cook Frozen Peas in the Microwave?
- How Long does it Take to Cook Frozen Peas in the Microwave?
- Do You Have to Cook Frozen Peas?
- Are Frozen Peas Already Cooked?
- Is it OK to Eat Frozen Peas Without Cooking?
How to Prep Frozen Peas Before Microwaving
Before microwaving frozen peas, thaw them out completely at room temperature.
Make sure to take out the peas from the freezer and set it aside to avoid the peas from getting waterlogged and soggy while microwaving.
Also, pick out the dish and other necessary items needed to get perfectly microwaved peas.
- Frozen peas
- Non-metallic microwave-safe plate
- Damp paper towel
- Putting frozen peas in the microwave: Take the peas out of the freezer and thaw them at room temperature. Measure a cup of peas and place it on a non-metallic microwave-safe plate.
Add a teaspoon of water to the peas and cover with a damp towel. Place the plate of frozen peas in the microwave.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Switch on the microwave. Set the microwave to high power and set it to 4 minutes on the timer.
- Checking in between the process: Keep an eye on the peas while it microwaves to avoid overcooking or burning.
- Repeat the process till the desired result is reached: After taking the peas out of the microwave, check if they are cooked correctly.
If needed repeat till the desired result is achieved and enjoy your peas.
Tips to Remember While Cooking Frozen Peas in Microwave
Review these tips before microwaving the frozen peas to get the best result.
- Remember to use only small amounts of peas to microwave at a time. Microwaving large amounts at a time could lead to uneven cooking.
- It is advisable to use only a microwave-safe plate that is non-metallic rather than using other dishes to avoid any accidents. Using a lid is also recommended.
- It is ideal to add a little water to the bowl of peas.
- It is recommended to add a little sea salt and freshly milled pepper to elevate the taste.
- Keep an eye on the peas while it microwaves to avoid overcooking them.
- If needed repeat the process at very short intervals till the desired results are achieved.
Alternate Ways to Cook Frozen Peas
Frozen peas can also be cooked on the stove. It can either be boiled or it can be steamed as well.
When boiling peas, add enough water to submerge them. Boil the pan of peas and cover it with a lid. Bring the peas to a simmer and let it continue for about 3 minutes.
It is recommended to avoid adding any salt to the peas since it hardens the peas further. To steam peas, boil some water in a pan.
Place a steaming basket over the boiling water and add the frozen peas into the basket. Keep a lid over the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
How to Cook Frozen Peas quickly
Frozen peas can be cooked quickly by using the microwave. It only takes about 2-4 minutes to cook frozen peas in the microwave.
Using the microwave is the most effortless and convenient method to cook frozen peas. To quicken the cooking process, microwave small amounts of peas.
Adding a teaspoon of water to the frozen peas before microwaving also helps in speeding up the process.
How to Store Microwaved Frozen Peas
Microwaved peas can be safely stored in the fridge or in the freezer to avoid going stale.
Storing peas in a cold environment ensures the quality f the peas for a longer period. Empty the peas into an airtight container and put them in the fridge or freezer.
A resealable bag can also be used in place of the airtight container. If properly stored, the peas will last 3-5 days.
Is it Safe to Cook Frozen Peas in the Microwave?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to cook frozen peas in the microwave.
Remember to microwave small amounts of peas at a time. Also, add a little water to the peas to ensure even cooking.
To be on the safe side, use a glass or ceramic microwave-safe plate and keep an eye on them while it microwaves to avoid any accidents.
How Long does it Take to Cook Frozen Peas in the Microwave?
Frozen peas can be cooked in just 2-4 minutes in the microwave.
Using a microwave to cook frozen peas is a very quick process. It takes 1-2 minutes to prepare the peas before placing the peas in the microwave for 2-4 minutes.
Since stirring or tossing of the peas is not required in between the process, the whole process gets done very fast.
Do You Have to Cook Frozen Peas?
Cook the frozen peas in the microwave. It is not ideal to have frozen peas just after getting them thawed out.
After being frozen most brands pre-cook frozen peas to an extend. They are usually flash-steamed. It is ideal to microwave frozen peas rather than boiling on the stove.
Boiling peas could turn them mushy and unsuitable to eat.
Are Frozen Peas Already Cooked?
Frozen peas are usually pre-cooked before packaging. They are usually flash-steamed and then cooled before being frozen.
Most vegetables are pre-cooked before being frozen. It is considered to be safe to consume frozen peas without cooking them.
However, it is ideal to cook them a little before having peas. Though boiling is usually recommended, it could turn the peas mushy. Instead, warm up the peas in the microwave.
Is it OK to Eat Frozen Peas Without Cooking?
No, it is not okay to eat frozen peas without cooking them. Frozen vegetables are usually pre-cooked. Peas are flash steamed. However, it is not ideal to eat frozen peas.
Most brands prepare frozen peas to be cooked and not to be eaten directly. However, it is recommended to not heat the peas to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
I hope this article covered all your questions about microwaving frozen peas.
If you have something to add to this, do share it in the comments or mail it to us.
Also, feel free to pass on this article to your loved ones who enjoy microwaved frozen peas.