This article describes in detail everything you need to know about microwaving spinach.
I have used this method over and over again and it preserves the taste and nutrients in the spinach. This is by far the best way to cook spinach in the microwave.
Let’s find out.
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Spinach?
- How To Prep Spinach For Microwaving?
- How to Microwave Spinach?
- Tips for Microwaving Spinach
- How to Steam Spinach in the Microwave?
- How to Blanch Spinach in the Microwave?
- How to Cook Spinach Quickly?
- Is it Safe to Microwave Spinach?
- How Long Does Cooked Spinach Last?
- How to store microwaved Spinach?
- How Long Should I Microwave Spinach?
- Bottom Line
How To Prep Spinach For Microwaving?
The preparation step of the process includes cleaning and washing the spinach for microwaving.
Remove the stems from the spinach then place the destemmed spinach in a large bowl full of cold water until it is completely submerged. Let it sit for 1 minute.
The sand and grit on the spinach settle down. Using a strainer take out all the spinach from the bowl.
You can also use a sink to do this. Repeat this step as many times as you find necessary. I recommend doing this at least 3 times to be extra sure.
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Microwave-safe lid/ Plastic wrap.
- Oven mitts
- Place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl: After straining some of the water after washing, place the partially wet spinach in a large container.
Seal this microwave-safe bowl with plastic wrap or a microwave-safe dish.
It is better to use a ceramic or a glass lid instead of plastic wrap in the microwave. Make sure to leave some space for the steam to escape.
The steam from the spinach can cause the bowl to explode in the microwave if it is not allowed to escape. Additionally, add some water, if the spinach has dried out completely.
- Adjust the settings on the microwave: Turn the microwave on. Place the bowl in the microwave. Cook at 100% for 3 minutes.
Use an oven mitt to take the bowl out of the microwave, as it will be very hot.
- Check for doneness: The spinach should be a dark green at this point, If you have a large portion of spinach in the microwave, flip it over using a pair of tongs and place it back in the microwave.
The spinach should be cooked in about 7 minutes.
Tips for Microwaving Spinach
- For a large portion of spinach, it is better to separate it into 2 small portions.
- Avoid the use of plastic containers in the microwave as some of the chemicals leech into the food from the plastic.
- Add additional water if the spinach has completely dried out. You can use wine or stock
- 4 to 8 ounces of spinach takes around 2 to 3 minutes of microwaving on high.
- It is better to underdo the Spinach while cooking, then increase the time by nuking in small intervals
- Spinach contains a lot of water about 90%. It is highly advised to be very careful of the steam coming from the covered bowl.
- Do not add an excessive amount of water to the spinach. The vitamins and minerals in the spinach will leak into this water.
- Make use of the spinach water in cooking and stews.
- Add melted butter and condiments of choice after the initial 3-minute interval.
- Use a paper towel instead of a plastic wrap to trap steam in the bowl for cooking the spinach.
- Do not overcook. It is best to let the residual heat do the rest of the cooking if the spinach seems a little underdone as the spinach will continue cooking after being removed from the microwave.
- Chop the spinach before adding it into the recipe. It will enhance the flavor greatly.
How to Steam Spinach in the Microwave?
To steam spinach in the microwave, place it in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a few tablespoons of water. The steam from this water will cook the spinach. Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid. Microwave on high for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Use a steamer bag for convenience instead of a bowl.
The choice of seasoning can also be added in while microwaving to preserve the aroma and quality of the spinach
When microwaving spinach, make sure to discard the original packing. Do not use it in the microwave, as it is not microwave-safe.
Steamed spinach will be dark green in color. Make sure to not overcook as the spinach will keep cooking after being removed from the microwave.
Add butter and salt for extra flavor.
How to Blanch Spinach in the Microwave?
Wash the spinach thoroughly. Fill a large microwave-safe bowl with water. Submerge the spinach in the water. Pop the bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Take the bowl out and drain the water through a strainer. Immediately put the spinach in an ice-cold water bowl. Let it sit for 1 minute and drain the excess water.
Blanching spinach can prolong the storable life of the spinach. Ice-cold water helps in seizing the cooking process. The Blanched spinach is cooked and ready to serve.
Make sure to use a microwave-safe bowl for microwaving. Avoid the use of plastic containers. Season with salt and pepper after the Spinach is done or store for later use.
How to Cook Spinach Quickly?
The quickest way to cook Spinach is by using a microwave. It takes only 3 minutes of your time without making a fuss. The spinach tastes great and preserves the flavor. Start by washing the spinach and placing it in a microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and remove the excess water.
Season the spinach with your choice of condiments. Spinach cooks quickly. Be sure not to overcook, as it will result in loss of aroma and nutrients.
To prevent the spinach from overcooking, remove the spinach before it looks completely done.
The residual heat will keep cooking the spinach. The steam rising from the spinach will also be very hot. Be extra careful as not to burn yourself.
Is it Safe to Microwave Spinach?
Yes, it is safe to Microwave Spinach. It is better to microwave the spinach in a steamer bag as it preserves the flavor and taste of the spinach. When microwaving make sure the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This method kills most of the bacteria and prevents toxins from leaching into the food.
It is completely safe to microwave Spinach. Microwaving requires minimal to no water, which preserves the water-soluble nutrients in the spinach.
Spinach is a perishable food and should be cooked to temperatures of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
Keep cooking times to a minimum. This method eliminates bacteria from the spinach and prevents food poisoning.
How Long Does Cooked Spinach Last?
Steamed Spinach lasts up to a week in the refrigerator and properly blanched Spinach can lasts from 10 to 12 months in the freezer. Spinach is best kept when all the water is drained out from it. Cooked spinach lasts for 2 hours at room temperature.
Spinach is a perishable food. When reheating spinach make sure the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit / 74 degrees Celsius.
Cooked Spinach lasts up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 1 year in the freezer.
The spinach will change color and become slimy if it is off. Make sure to discard it if the spinach tastes or smells bad.
How to store microwaved Spinach?
Let the spinach cool down to room temperature. Wipe down any excess moisture from the spinach. Separate the spinach into meal-sized portions and place in airtight containers or Ziploc bags. Refrigerate or freeze the spinach accordingly.
The best tip to store spinach is to make sure there is little moisture left in the spinach. Wipe the spinach down using paper towels or squeeze the extra water out using your hands.
Microwaved Spinach can easily be stored in freeze-resistant airtight bags or containers.
It is best to let the spinach return to room temperature before freezing as it will raise the temperature of the freezer compromising the shelf life of other foods in the freezer.
How Long Should I Microwave Spinach?
It takes an average of 3 to 7 minutes to microwave Spinach. The microwaving times generally depend on the quantity of spinach in the microwave and the power setting on the microwave. The spinach keeps cooking even after it is removed from the microwave.
The best way is to nuke the spinach in small intervals. Make sure the spinach does not overcook in the microwave.
Frozen spinach when reheated should be thawed for about 2 hours in the refrigerator before cooking.
The cooking times are to be kept to a minimum to preserve nutrients in the spinach.
Spinach needs to be thawed before cooking. It is best to store blanched or steamed spinach in meal-sized portions, as it will be easier to defrost than a block of frozen spinach.
Place the frozen spinach in the refrigerator for 2 hours. You can also turn to the microwave and use the defrost setting to unfreeze the spinach. It will take 1 to 2 minutes to do that
I hope this article about microwaving spinach helped you with your queries.
Write to us. We will love to hear your tips and tricks to microwave spinach. Mention your suggestions and queries in the comments below or email us.
Share this article with all your health-conscious friends who love to add spinach to all their foods.