Quick Answer: How to Microwave Turkey Bacon
Turkey bacon is prepared in the microwave by first layering a large microwave-safe plate/bowl with two or three layers of paper towels, then placing the turkey bacon strips on it and cooking them for about 2 minutes or longer on both sides till they become crisp.
This article is a comprehensive guide on how best to microwave turkey bacon.
From my personal experience, this technique works like magic.
So, let’s go ahead and crisp some bacon.
How to Prep Turkey Bacon for Microwaving?
Before microwaving turkey bacon it is important to know a few things. Make sure to choose thin-cut bacon for this process as thick-cut bacon will take longer to cook.
If the bacon is frozen, it can be thawed in the refrigerator by keeping it overnight, or in the microwave.
You can set the microwave on defrost setting and follow the manufacturer’s instructions or defrost the bacon for about 5 minutes at a low heat setting inside the microwave by spreading the bacon strips on paper towels and placing it on a microwave-safe plate.
Bacon can also be thawed by placing it under cold running water.
How to Microwave Turkey Bacon
After prepping the turkey bacon as mentioned above, place the bacon strips on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels, keep the microwave on a high heat setting and cook for 1 minute on each side and an additional minute for making it crisp.
Check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit using a meat thermometer.
- Thin cut turkey bacon
- Microwavable safe plate/bowl
- Paper towels
- Preparing the Turkey Bacon: To prep the bacon, begin by thawing it in the refrigerator or defrosting it in the microwave, just as described in the prep section.
- Layering the Microwave-Safe Plate/Bowl: The microwave-safe plate should be lined with 2 layers of paper towels so that any juices or grease that is released can be easily absorbed.
- Placing the Turkey Bacon: The bacon strips should be placed on the microwave-safe plate in such a way that they don’t lie on top of one another.
- Microwave Settings: Place the plate in the microwave. Switch on the microwave. Set the timer for 2 minutes depending on the number of bacon strips.
Set the temperature at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Checking and Flipping the Bacon: The bacon strips should be checked after every 30 seconds. After one minute, they should be flipped and cooked from the other side.
- Transferring the Bacon Strips: After cooking in the microwave the bacon strips should be transferred to another sheet of clean paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Serve Hot: The bacon strips can be cooked for about a minute more to make them crispy. Take them out of the microwave carefully and serve immediately.
Temperature: 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Check out how to microwave turkey bacon in this video
Tips to Remember while Microwaving Turkey Bacon :
- The bacon strips can be covered using paper towels or a lid so as to avoid making the microwave messy if the grease pops out.
- Some microwaves come with an inbuilt setting for cooking bacon, use it if you have such a microwave or follow the above process.
- It is advisable to cook the turkey bacon immediately after it thaws so that it doesn’t spoil.
- Don’t overshoot the thawing or cooking time as it will lead to dry, hard, and unsavory bacon strips.
- Ensure that bacon strips don’t overlap when placing them on the microwave-safe plate, as they will get stuck with each other.
- Be very cautious while taking the plate out of the microwave as it will be very hot.
- Use ample paper towels to absorb the grease, you can also use a microwave bacon tray to catch any grease or juices.
How Long does it Take to Microwave Turkey Bacon?
Microwaving turkey bacon is easy and very fast. Bacon can be cooked for a minute on each side in the microwave.
Cooking time varies with the number of bacon strips and the wattage of the microwave that is being used.
4 slices of bacon lined on a paper towel covered microwave-safe plate can take about 2 minutes to cook.
Alternate Ways to Cook Turkey Bacon
1. Using a Skillet: Bacon strips can be cooked for 7-8 minutes by placing them in a skillet at a medium flame.
The strips should be turned over every 2 or 3 minutes so that they get an even cook on both sides.
2. Baking in the Oven: Place the bacon strips on aluminum covered baking dish.
Bake the strips in a pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit till they become crunchy on the sides.
Turn the strips over using a pair of tongs for an even cook. You can bake the strips for an additional 5 to 10 minutes for a more crunchy texture.
3. Cooking in Air Fryer: Place the bacon strips in the air fryer, make sure they fit, if not, cut them accordingly.
Cook the strips at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes and then flip and cook the other side.
How to Store Cooked Turkey Bacon ?
To maintain freshness, cooked bacon can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. It needs to be kept in an air-tight container or it can be stored in freezer bags.
If stored properly in the freezer, the turkey bacon can last for 2 to 3 months.
At room temperature cooked bacon can last not more than 2 hours, as the bacon is warm and bacteria can easily grow.
How to Reheat Turkey Bacon in the Microwave?
Turkey bacon can be reheated very easily in the microwave. To reheat, just line the microwave-safe plate with paper towels, spread the bacon strips on it so that they don’t lie on top of each other.
You can cover the bacon strips with another layer of paper towel then reheat them for 20 to 30 seconds or till the internal temperature of bacon reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Turkey Bacon strips become super crispy when cooked in the microwave. Just make sure to spread the strips as much as possible on the microwave-safe plate so that they don’t lie on top of each other.
To make the bacon crispy, use as many paper towels as you can to line the microwave dish, so as to soak up the grease which may otherwise drip or you can also use a microwave bacon tray that can catch the grease that leaks out, grease-free bacon is always crispy.
Turkey bacon has several advantages over pork bacon. It can be cooked faster than pork bacon.
The fat content in turkey bacon is low, it contains way fewer calories so diet-conscious people can prefer turkey bacon over pork bacon.
Turkey bacon is a good choice for people who avoid pork because of allergies or religious reasons.
However, as turkey bacon is a processed food item it does contain a lot of preservatives which can be harmful.
I hope this guide helps you in microwaving turkey bacon with relative ease.
If you have any queries or remarks, please let us know via comments or mail. We look forward to any tips or tricks that can be further added to this guide.
Do share this article with your fellow food enthusiasts!