In this article, I have shared with you the ultimate guide on how to reheat chipotle in the microwave.
I love to have chipotle bowl and burritos for lunch but have always wondered how to reheat it. I have researched this method thoroughly and the results were amazing.
Keep reading to find out.
- Quick Answer: How to Reheat Chipotle in Microwave?
- How to Prep the Chipotle for Reheating in the Microwave
- How to Reheat Chipotle bowl in the Microwave?
- How to Reheat Chipotle Burrito in the Microwave?
- Tips for Microwaving Chipotle
- Alternate Methods to Reheat Chipotle Bowl
- Alternate Methods to Reheat Chipotle Burrito
- How to Store Chipotle?
- How long does Chipotle Last?
- How long should I Microwave Chipotle?
- Is it Safe to Microwave Chipotle?
- Bottom Line
How to Prep the Chipotle for Reheating in the Microwave
When reheating a chipotle bowl in the microwave begin by removing some of its toppings.
The ingredients that need to be removed are vegetables (lettuce), sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
Put these ingredients in a separate bowl. These ingredients do not microwave well.
If it is difficult to remove some of the ingredients from the bowl, try to remove them after microwaving and top off with fresh vegetables and condiments.
Remove the chipotle from the container and transfer it into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Chipotle bowl
- Microwave-safe dish
- Transfer the contents to a microwave-safe dish: After removing the toppings from the chipotle, transfer them into a microwave-safe bowl.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap for even heating. This is not necessary though.
- Reheating in the microwave: Lower the power level down to medium. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 1 minute.
Take the bowl out and give the ingredients a good mix.
The ingredients should reach a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
Return the bowl into the microwave and heat in 15 to 20-second spells until hot. Stir the ingredients after every interval to distribute heat.
- Nuking: Give a final nuke of 15 to 20 seconds. Allow the bowl to cool down for one minute before serving.
- Add toppings: Add fresh toppings into the reheated chipotle. You can use the toppings removed initially from the chipotle bowl.
How to Reheat Chipotle Burrito in the Microwave?
Place the burrito on a crisper plate or a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle a few drops of water on top.
Place the dish in the microwave for 1 minute on high. Take the burrito out and flip it. Let it rest for 45 seconds.
Repeat the process until the temperature inside the burrito reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius. Allow it to cool before serving.
Use a microwave-safe dish
After removing the aluminum foil, place the burrito on a microwave-safe dish or a crisper plate.
The ingredients in the burrito heat differently. Make sure to not burn some ingredients in the burrito while microwaving. Microwave in small intervals to avoid overcooking the protein.
Reheating in the microwave
Place the crisper plate or a microwave-safe dish in the microwave. Sprinkle a few droplets of water on the burrito.
Place a glass of water in the microwave to distribute heat. Insert the dish into the microwave and heat the burrito for 1 minute.
Take the dish out and flip it 90 degrees. Let it rest for 45 seconds so that the heat distributes evenly.
Checking in between the process
Sprinkle a few droplets of water on the other side and place the dish back into the microwave. Return the process until the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius
Use a thermometer if available and see if the burrito registers this temperature at 3 or 4 places. Allow the burrito to cool for some time before serving.
Tips for Microwaving Chipotle
- Reheat tortilla chips in the microwave on high. Nuke for 30 seconds on a microwave-safe dish in 10-second intervals.
- Use a crisper pan instead of a microwave-safe dish when reheating chipotle burritos
- When storing a chipotle bowl, store the ingredients individually. Separate the ingredients that can be microwaved from those that don’t do well in the microwave.
- Do not use the aluminum disposable lid in the microwave. Use plastic wrap instead.
- If the chipotle burrito has gone stale, sprinkle with a few drops of water on each side before microwaving.
- The guacamole can be reheated but doesn’t taste good reheated unless in a wrap. On the other hand, sour crème releases a lot of water when reheated and it separates when kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Refrigerate the chipotle items as soon as possible.
- Place a glass of water in the microwave when heating the Chipotle Burrito in the microwave.
- If you happen to have a fresh tortilla, dump all the contents of the reheated burrito into a new one.
Alternate Methods to Reheat Chipotle Bowl
Reheating the chipotle bowl can also be done using an oven or a skillet on the stove.
1. Reheating Chipotle bowl in the Oven: Remove the toppings and preheat the oven to 35o degrees Fahrenheit. Empty the rest of the ingredients into a dish and insert it into the oven.
Keep the dish in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
Let it cool for a minute and put the removed toppings back into the dish. Enjoy.
2. Reheating Chipotle bowl in a skillet: Remove the toppings. Heat the skillet on medium heat and put a tablespoon of butter/ oil into it.
Add all of the remaining ingredients into the skillet. Keep moving them around with a spatula so that they do not stick to the bottom.
Heat for 3 to 4 minutes while stirring. Remove from the heat and transfer onto a plate. Top the chipotle off with the removed toppings or fresh ones whichever suits your liking.
Alternate Methods to Reheat Chipotle Burrito
The best way to reheat a Chipotle burrito is by using a grill. It can also be reheated using an oven.
1. Reheating Chipotle Burrito in the Oven: Preheat the toaster oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remove the aluminum foil from the burrito and place it in a baking dish. Removing the aluminum foil will cause the tortilla to become crisp.
You can also puncture holes in the aluminum wrap to let the steam escape. Pop the tray in the oven for 30 minutes and bake. Let the burrito cool down before serving.
2. Reheating Chipotle Burrito on the grill: Heat your grill on medium heat.
Place the Chipotle Burrito on the grill and keep turning it after every 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat the process for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Make sure the temperature of all the ingredients reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius. Top it off with fresh veggies. Serve and enjoy.
How to Store Chipotle?
Every item from chipotle should be wrapped and stored individually. For storing Chipotle bowls, remove fresh ingredients and store them separately from the microwaveable ones. For storing Chipotle burritos, wrap individual burritos in separate Ziploc bags.
Wrapping the ingredients makes sure that they retain moisture.
Chipotle bowls take a long time to reheat in the oven. When microwaving the chipotle, cover the bowl with a plastic wrap to maximize moisture in the rice.
You can also use aluminum foil or plastic wrap to store the items. Once reheated do not freeze again.
How long does Chipotle Last?
Chipotle remains fresh under 40 degrees Fahrenheit that is under refrigeration for 3 days and at room temperature for 2 hours. To maximize freshness, separate fresh ingredients from perishable ones. Sour crème goes bad if kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Some ingredients in the chipotle items are perishable. That is if kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours, they go bad.
Sour Crème releases moisture when reheated. If it smells like sour crème has gone bad, do not eat the chipotle. Refrigerate the chipotle as soon as possible to maximize shelf life.
How long should I Microwave Chipotle?
When reheating the chipotle bowl, it takes 2 to 3 minutes of microwaving in intervals. For a chipotle burrito, microwave times are 3 to 4 minutes. You can stop microwaving chipotle if it registers a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
Microwaving times depend on the wattage of the microwave. Adjust microwaving times accordingly. For soggy tortillas chips, microwave for 30 seconds in 10-second intervals.
Is it Safe to Microwave Chipotle?
Yes, it is safe to microwave Chipotle items. The containers are not labeled microwave-safe so it is better to transfer the ingredients to a microwave-safe dish when reheating the chipotle in the microwave.
Some of the ingredients in the chipotle items are perishable. They need to be refrigerated in a span of 2 hours.
When reheating these items it is required they reach a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius before serving.
Avoid the use of plastic or aluminum in the microwave. They release harmful chemicals into the food when microwaved.
Do not reheat sour crème. The moisture from sour crème turns the tortilla soggy and doesn’t allow the burrito to reach the proper temperature
It is completely safe to eat leftover chipotle. The leftovers should be refrigerated in as soon as possible after the meal.
The perishable ingredients cannot maintain freshness at room temperature after 2 hours.
You can enjoy the leftovers cold or reheat them using any of the above-mentioned methods.
Yes, you can eat a chipotle bowl cold. It is only safe to eat cold chipotle if proper storage practices have been followed.
If the ingredients in a chipotle bowl are mixed in such that they cannot be separated. It is best to eat chipotle bowl cold.
Proteins need more time to heat than any other ingredient in the chipotle. You can reheat meat in a skillet or pan on medium heat in a drizzle of oil.
I hope this article was of help when you reheated your chipotle in the microwave or otherwise.
Share your tips and tricks when reheating chipotle in the microwave. Mention them in the comments or email them to us.
Spread the word. Share this article with all those who love chipotle.