This is a comprehensive guide on how to reheat coffee in the microwave. I have shared with you the easiest method to reheat coffee without any change of flavor in the coffee.
I use this method most of the time without fail. It takes very little time and the results are amazing
Let’s find out
- Quick Answer: How to Reheat Coffee in Microwave?
- How to Prep the Coffee for reheating in the Microwave
- How to Reheat Coffee in Microwave?
- How to Reheat Store Bought Coffee in the Microwave?
- Tips for Microwaving Coffee
- Alternate Methods to Reheat Coffee
- How to reheat Coffee Quickly?
- Is it Safe to Microwave Coffee?
- How to Store Brewed Coffee?
- How long does Brewed Coffee Last?
- How long should I Microwave Coffee?
- Bottom Line
How to Prep the Coffee for reheating in the Microwave
Not a lot needs to be done while prepping the coffee for microwaving. Just pour the coffee into a microwave-safe cup.
Do not use any cardboard or metal cups in the microwave. Do not cover the top of the mug. The superheated water is likely to cause an explosion.
If you have frozen coffee cubes, allow them to defrost in the refrigerator before placing the coffee in the microwave.
- Microwave-safe mug
- Spoon/Coffee Stick
- Pour the coffee into a microwave-safe mug: Pour the coffee into a microwave-safe mug.
Do not cover the top. The steam will likely cause the coffee mug to burst.
Avoid the use of plastic or cardboard containers in the microwave. They release harmful chemicals when microwaved.
- Adjust the settings: Lower the power level down to medium-high or a level 8. Place the coffee mug in the microwave.
Nuke for 45 seconds for a half -filled coffee mug. Take the mug out and give a good stir to distribute the heat.
Make sure the coffee does not come to a boil. It will result in a loss of aroma and flavor.
- Nuking: Coffee is served at a temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Repeat nuking in 10-second intervals to reach the desired temperature. Do not reheat for more than 11/2 minutes.
Make sure not to overheat. The coffee beans are roasted and microwaving them will release a bitter flavor into the coffee.
How to Reheat Store Bought Coffee in the Microwave?
1. Starbucks: Transfer the contents from the Starbucks cup into a microwave-safe mug.
If the coffee contains milk or milk derivatives, follow proper refrigeration techniques to make sure the milk isn’t spoiled before reheating.
Lower the power level down to medium and microwave in 30-second intervals. Starbucks has a lot of varieties of coffee. One method will not work for all.
2. Dunkin Donuts: The Dunkin donuts containers are not microwave-safe. They keep your coffee warm for long.
If you plan on reheating a Dunkin donut coffee in the microwave, transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and microwave in 30-second intervals until the temperature of the coffee is to your preference.
Do not cover the lid of the coffee to avoid a risk of explosion
Tips for Microwaving Coffee
- Add a pinch of salt before reheating your coffee. Salt neutralizes the bitterness from the coffee.
- Avoid overheating the coffee by taking it out after every interval and stirring it with a spoon to distribute the heat evenly.
- If your coffee contains milk, follow the two-hour refrigeration rule. Milk is perishable and will go bad if left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- If you have made a large batch of coffee, pour it into the ice tray and store it in the freezer for future use.
- It is best to make coffee in small batches. The best way to reheat coffee in the microwave is to do it in small intervals at low heat.
- Avoid boiling the coffee. The bitterness from the coffee makes it less palatable
- Store the coffee in a thermos so it remains hot for a long time.
Alternate Methods to Reheat Coffee
You can also use the stovetop to reheat coffee. This is the best method to reheat your coffee.
Reheating Coffee on the stovetop: Pour the coffee into a pot. Turn the stove on and set it on low. Let the coffee heat up. Remove from the stove before it comes to a boil.
Pour it into the mug and enjoy. Using this method preserves the flavor in the coffee. The coffee heats up slowly without releasing a lot of bitterness.
How to reheat Coffee Quickly?
The quickest way to reheat coffee is by using a microwave. It only takes a minute to reheat coffee in the microwave. Pour the coffee into a microwave-safe mug and give an initial nuke of 45 seconds. Remove and stir. Keep microwaving in 10- second intervals until the temperature is 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add a pinch of salt to reduce the bitterness coming from the coffee.
The coffee beans are roasted before making coffee. When coffee is put back into the microwave, the bean solids roast further and release bitterness.
It is better to use a pan on the stovetop to reheat coffee.
Is it Safe to Microwave Coffee?
Yes, it is safe to microwave Coffee. Before reheating coffee in the microwave, make sure it has not been sitting out for too long. Microwaving can change the taste of coffee but it does not affect any of the ingredients such that they become unhealthy.
When microwaving coffee to reheat it, avoid the use of Styrofoam, cardboard, or plastic containers. These cups are not microwave-safe.
There is no study demonstrating reheated coffee being harmful. Just the bitterness from the coffee might be off-putting.
How to Store Brewed Coffee?
The shelf life of brewed coffee is 2 hours at room temperature. To keep the coffee tasting fresh after brewing, store it in an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator. It is better to freeze coffee. Defrost the coffee before reheating as needed. You can also pour the coffee into an ice tray and make ice cubes for iced coffee.
Remove the coffee from the heat immediately, if there are a ton of leftovers or you are just making a big batch.
The longer the coffee is hot, the faster it will oxidize. Store the coffee below temperatures of 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thaw the frozen coffee ice cubes before reheating.
How long does Brewed Coffee Last?
Brewed Coffee can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and can be extended up to a week. Contact with air causes the coffee to oxidize and lose some of its flavors. If the coffee has milk or milk products in it will last 2 days in the refrigerator.
Coffee contains various compounds that give it its distinct taste and flavor. You can store an espresso for up to 6 months in the freezer but when the coffee is reheated, it loses some of its flavors.
It is better to make a fresh cup of coffee and avoid brewing coffee in large batches. Cold-brewed coffee can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge and still taste good.
Refrigerate the Coffee as soon as possible to maximize shelf life.
How long should I Microwave Coffee?
A half-filled cup of coffee requires about 45 seconds to 11/2 minutes of microwaving time on medium-high. Make sure to microwave in intervals to preserve the flavor of the coffee. Microwaving times depend on your preferred temperature of the coffee. Coffee is usually served at 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Microwaving times also depend on the kind of coffee you are reheating and the wattage of the microwave. Adjust microwaving times accordingly.
Avoid boiling the coffee. It releases bitterness and is non-palatable.
If worried about microwaving coffee or ruining its flavor, lower the power to medium and microwave it in small intervals of initial 30-second burst then nuking in 10-second intervals.
When coffee is reheated, there is the production of quinic and caffeic acid. These compounds make coffee bitter. When coffee is first brewed, the bitterness is balanced by sweetness and acidity in the coffee.
Storing and reheating coffee in a vacuum chamber can prevent this. Use a thermos or flask to store the coffee and use a water bath to reheat it.
No, microwaving does not remove caffeine from the coffee. Once brewed, caffeine stays in the coffee. Caffeine is heat resistant and does not evaporate.
Coffee becomes sour when heated for a long time because some compounds break down in presence of heat.
I hope this article was of help when reheating coffee.
Share your experience with us. Mention any tips and tricks in the comments below or email us.
Share this article with all coffee lovers who need to know how to reheat coffee perfectly.