In this comprehensive guide on how to reheat tortilla chips in the microwave I will explain how you can go about this process without much hassle.
Using a microwave to reheat tortilla chips is a very popular and well accepted method by various chefs and food bloggers.
I too use a microwave whenever I need to get my stale, soggy chips back to life at my place. Lets dive right into the process without much delay.
- Quick Answer: How to Reheat Tortilla Chips in the Microwave
- How to Prep Tortilla Chips before Microwaving
- How to Reheat Tortilla Chips in the Microwave
- Tips to Remember while Microwaving Tortilla Chips
- Alternate ways to Reheat Tortilla Chips
- How to Reheat Tortilla Chips Quickly
- Is it Safe to Reheat Tortilla Chips using a Microwave
- How long does it take to Reheat Tortilla Chips
How to Prep Tortilla Chips before Microwaving
Reheating tortilla chips in the microwave does not require any special preparation. You have to take the chips out from the refrigerator and bring them to the kitchen.
Take a microwave safe dish and lay a paper towel on it. Now arrange the chips one by one in a layer on the dish.
- Stale tortilla chips
- Paper towel
- Microwave safe dish
- Putting the chips in the microwave: After you have lined up the chips on the microwave safe dish covered with a paper towel, put the dish inside the microwave and turn it on.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Set the microwave on high power mode. Put the timer on 30 secs max and click on the start button.
- Checking in between: You can check the crispiness of the chips in between the process. After 15 secs have passed, take the dish out and break one chip.
If it's crisp enough it will break easily with a sound. If the chips are not crispy enough put it back in the microwave.
- Ensuring the chips are properly reheated: Take the chips of the microwave when the timer goes off and check if the crispiness is restored.
The chips will break easily with a sound. If not you may put it back in for another round of heating for 10 secs.
Temperature:Use high power
Tips to Remember while Microwaving Tortilla Chips
While attempting to reheat stale or soggy tortilla chips using a microwave or any other means there are certain points that should be taken care of for safe and better reheating. If these pointers are strictly followed it yields better results.
- This process works better if your microwave has a rotating turntable else the heating might brown the edges thus ruining the flavor.
- If a paper towel is not available at hand you could also use a parchment paper.
- Keeping an eye on the chips during the process is very important to prevent it from burning or overheating.
- If you are reheating a lot of tortilla chips it’s best to do so in batches else the heat will not spread evenly.
- Do not put too many chips at once on the microwave safe dish together. It should be laid in a single even layer and not overlapping one another.
Alternate ways to Reheat Tortilla Chips
Sometimes when you do not have access to a microwave but an oven you can use the latter. You could also use an air fryer for the same. While using an oven, preheat the appliance to 350˚F (180˚C). Lay the chips on a baking sheet and put it inside the oven for 6-10 mins. For an air fryer, spray some oil and reheat the chips for 2-3 mins at 350˚F.
If you have time at hand the best way to reheat soggy tortillas is by making use of an oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F first.
Next, place this inside the oven and bake it for 6-10 mins. This will restore the crunch and your chips will be ready to serve.
While choosing to use an air fryer for the same purpose, spray some oil and place only a single layer of chips into the air fryer at a time.
Heat this for 2-3 mins at 350˚F. The chips will regain its crunch by this time and it will be perfectly reheated.
How to Reheat Tortilla Chips Quickly
The easiest and fastest way to reheat stored tortilla chips is by placing it on a pan for 30 secs and flipping it to its other side after an interval. You can also simply leave it directly onto the gas flame undisturbed for a few secs to yield the same result.
To reheat tortillas when you do not have much time to spare, use a stove. Take a pan and make sure there is no oil in it. Place the chips on it.
Put it on the stove on medium heat and leave it there for 30 secs. After this interval flip the chips to its other side using a pair of tongs.
Instead of this you can also reheat the chips without using a pan altogether. Simply put the chips directly on the gas flame and remove it after a few secs.
Is it Safe to Reheat Tortilla Chips using a Microwave
When the laid out guidelines are followed it is completely safe to reheat your chips in the microwave. If overheated the hips might burn and lose their taste. Keeping the time taken and method used in mind and going about the process yields the best results.
If the correct guidelines are followed keeping a check on the extra tips mentioned above in this article, rest assured your chips will come out of the microwave crunchy and safe to consume.
It is very important to reheat the chips only for 30 secs and not more. Reheating it above the time limit mentioned will burn its sides and the taste will be awful.
Also do not keep the chips unattended in the microwave. The flipping to its other side step needs to be covered every 15 secs.
How long does it take to Reheat Tortilla Chips
Microwaving tortilla chips to reheat takes 30 secs. While reheating in an oven takes 6-10 mins, reheating on an air fryer takes around 2-3 mins. The fastest way is to reheat it on a stove top. This way takes only a few seconds.
When you are reheating tortilla chips in the microwave you need to flip it after a 15 secs interval.
The timing depends on the amount of chips you put in but it usually takes 30 secs.
The best way to reheat tortilla chips is by preheating the oven and then baking the chips for 6-10 mins.
This takes a little more time than the other methods but is the most efficient way.
You could also reheat stale chips on an air fryer by simply placing it on the fryer for 3-4 mins and flipping it from time to time.
The other method is the fastest way of all. Simply take a pan and put it on the stovetop on medium heat. This process will take only 30 secs.
While some people suggest storing it in the refrigerator I find it highly inconvenient. Instead take an airtight container or a ziploc bag and put the chips in it while it’s still crispy.
Now close the container and put it inside the freezer. If you are using a Ziploc bag for this purpose ensure that you have vacuumed out all the air before zipping it close.
Remember the more you have kept the chips out in the open the more are the chances of it going stale. So always pack it quickly after retrieving the lot you want to consume.
I hope this detailed guide has helped you reheat tortilla chips at your place with ease using the microwave.
If you have any queries feel free to let us know. We would love your feedback and use it to enrich our work further.
Do share this with your friends and family who love tortillas to help them out as well.