Chocolate chips can be used in their native form or can be melted into a thick, rich & smooth liquid chocolate that can be further used to make various desserts like cupcakes, muffins, crepes, cookies, etc.
It can also be used to glaze doughnuts & eclairs, coat fruits like strawberries & other dry fruits.
So, to make the melted chocolate tastier & much thicker & smoother in texture & consistency, we sometimes melt butter & chocolate together.
This process is easier & hassle-free when it is done in a microwave. It takes little time & it does not involve too much equipment to complete the process.
So, here’s a comprehensive article with tips, instructions & frequently asked questions on how you can appropriately & safely melt chocolate chips in the microwave with butter & use it further to make amazing recipes.
How to Prepare the Chocolate Chips for Melting in a Microwave with Butter
- Quick Answer: How to Melt Chocolate Chips in the Microwave with Butter
- Choose chocolate chips that have high cocoa butter content .
- How to Melt Chocolate Chips in the Microwave with Butter
- Tips to Remember while Melting Chocolate Chips in a Microwave with Butter
- Alternate Ways to Melt Chocolate Chips with Butter
- How to Store Melted Chocolate Chips with Butter
- How to Prevent the Chocolate Chips from Burning while Melting in the Microwave with Butter
- How to Melt Chocolate Kisses in a Microwave
- Bottom Line
Choose chocolate chips that have high cocoa butter content .
Transfer the chocolate chips from their original package into a microwave-safe bowl, preferably a borosilicate container, Pyrex glass bowl, or ceramic ware.
Take the butter out from the refrigerator & keep it at room temperature.
Do not melt the chocolate chips in a plastic container or a metallic container as the chocolate may stick to the bowl & burn.
- A microwave-safe dish or bowl, preferably something made of Pyrex glass, Borosilicate glass, ceramic.
- A heat-resistant rubber or silicone spatula
- A clean & dry spoon
- A food thermometer
- Transfer the chocolate chips into a glass bowl – Take the chocolate chips out from the original package & place it into a microwave-safe bowl, ideally a Pyrex glass bowl or a Borosilicate container, or ceramic ware.
Make sure to transfer the chocolate into something that makes the melting process visible from the outside.
- Microwave settings – Set the microwave to medium heat settings or 50% power level & place the bowl of chocolate chips to be melted inside it. Melt it for around 15 – 20 seconds & keep stirring .
The melting of chocolate chips will usually begin at temperatures around 90°F. Do not exceed the temperature of 115°F as the chocolate chips may burn.
- Stir the melted chocolate – Take the bowl of semi-molten chocolate chips out of the microwave & use a rubber or a silicone spatula to stir the chocolate chips every 15 sec to prevent any burning.
Then, keep it back in the microwave & melt again for 15 sec. The stirring will get easier as the outer edges start melting.
Stirring also helps the chocolate to reach a smooth & rich consistency & prevent any formation of lump that may arise due to heating.
- Add butter & mix – After the chocolate chips have started to melt, add the butter already brought to room temperature, with a dry tool.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter for every 2 – 12 ounces of chocolate chips. Keep stirring the entire mixture.
Any amount of moisture should not sneak in as it will not give the desired results. Do not use clarified butter as it may crystallize the chocolate.
- Check the temperature – If you are unable to understand the consistency of the melted chocolate & notice few partially melted chunks in it even after a long time, then check the temperature of the melted bowl of chocolate with a food thermometer.
If the thermometer records a temperature of around 115°F, then stop melting the chocolate chips immediately, or else it will burn.
- Remove the melted chocolate & butter mixture from the microwave – After the entire chocolate & butter is melted & mixed thoroughly, remove it from the appliance when it seems glossy & shiny using an oven mitt or potholders as the bowl will be extremely hot .
Pour it in another cool bowl for further use in your cakes, doughnuts, or any other amazing dessert.
Preparation time: No such preparation required
Temperature: 90°F - 113°F
Tips to Remember while Melting Chocolate Chips in a Microwave with Butter
Please follow the tips while melting chocolate chips with butter in a microwave quickly & safely:
- Use microwave-safe containers – Use a microwave-safe dish or bowl, preferably something made of Pyrex glass, Borosilicate glass, ceramic to melt the chocolate chips & the butter in the microwave.Please check the bottom of the container to read labels that indicate whether it’s safe or not to use it in the microwave.
- Refrain from using metal or foam containers – Do not use any metal containers in the microwave. Avoid using foam trays or aluminum foils, paper napkins & colored paper plates as they can melt or release toxins.
- Do not use a lid or a wrap over the bowl of chocolate chips – If a lid or wrap is used to cover the bowl of chocolate chips, then it will trap in all the moisture formed due to the melting & this extra moisture will cause undesirable lumps to form in the chocolate.
- Melt the butter in the end – Do not add the chocolate chips & the butter to melt together in the microwave as the butter will melt faster than the chocolate chips & it may get separated. This will create unevenness in the mixture .You also do not need to melt the butter beforehand & wait for the chocolate chips to melt so that you can add the melted butter then to make the molten chocolate. Make sure to add the butter right when the chocolate chips start melting into a gooey liquid.
- Use dry containers, spatula, or any other tools – Any amount of moisture or water that comes in contact with the hot melting chocolate can turn it into a hard lump or make it grainy. So, do not use a spatula or a bowl that has droplets of water in it. Use a dry spoon to add the butter.
- Use a heat-proof rubber or silicon spatula – A bendable spatula should be used to mix the chocolate chips & the butter thoroughly. It should be resistant to heat or else there is a chance of the chemical leaching into the mixture. A spatula made of rubber or silicone is the best to use here. Make sure to not use a wooden spatula as the melted chocolate may obtain the flavor or smell of it & this may cause some unwanted change in the original taste of the chocolate.
- Check the temperature – The molten chocolate may burn at higher temperatures so it is better to check the temperature using a food thermometer. The temperature should be maintained between 90°F – 115°F to prevent any accidental burning or undesirable results .
- Stir & mix – Do not leave the chocolate chips to melt on their own in the microwave. After adding the butter, mix the melted chocolate with the butter nicely to form a uniform mix. Use a spatula to help the chocolate chips melt properly as they are designed to not lose shape even at high temperatures. So, stirring will help them smoothen .
- Do not overheat or melt in high heat – Extreme high heat can burn the chocolate entirely or make it grainy & dry with a very sticky texture. Carry out the process slowly & melt in medium heat at 50% power.
- Remove the hot bowl of melted chocolate chips & butter carefully – The bowl of melted chocolate will turn very hot by now, so use an oven mitt or potholders to remove it from the microwave.
Alternate Ways to Melt Chocolate Chips with Butter
You can also melt the chocolate chips with butter easily & efficiently using a double-boiler. Using a double-boiler reduces any chance of burning or scorching the chocolate.
For this, you will need a pot or a saucepan, a heat-resistant bowl that can fit perfectly into the pot & a bendable heat-proof rubber or silicon spatula & water.
Fill the pot with water up to few inches & fit the bowl into the pot or the pan, whichever you are using & ensure the bottom isn’t touching the water below in the pot.
Only the edge of the bowl should rest on the edge of the pan .Heat the water on a low flame & turn off the heat when the water starts simmering.
Then add the chocolate chips to be melted into the bowl & start stirring gently with the spatula. When the chocolate has begun to melt, remove it from the heat .
Now, add the butter to the hot chocolate chips & start stirring & mixing quickly & thoroughly till both the ingredients blend smoothly.
Make sure to be fast as there’s no external heat to melt them anymore, the heat from the hot chocolate will be doing the rest of the work.
How to Store Melted Chocolate Chips with Butter
Pour the leftover melted chocolate chips with butter onto parchment paper, or keep it in a glass bowl & tightly wrap it & store it in the refrigerator. If you want to store it for months, then keep the bowl of leftover chocolate in the fridge for a day before storing it in the freezer.
If you find yourself having any leftover melted chocolate chips with butter, then make sure to save them for later.
You can pour it over a sheet of parchment & store it in the refrigerator for a few days.
In this way, reusing the molten buttery chocolate will also be easy & it will not take much time to scrape out the hardened chocolate .
You can also keep it in a glass bowl & store it but do not leave it unwrapped as the chocolate may take up the odor of other food items stored in the fridge & lose its authenticity & flavor.
If you want to store it for longer, keep it in the freezer after keeping it in the refrigerator for a day .
Do not store it in an air-tight plastic container as it will be difficult to remove the chocolate & also don’t let the melted chocolate sit on the counter to cool as this will unnecessarily harden the chocolate when not required.
How to Prevent the Chocolate Chips from Burning while Melting in the Microwave with Butter
Do not keep melting the chocolate chips till each & every bit blend with the melted liquid. You need to add the butter when the chocolate chips begin to melt. Mix it thoroughly .
Do not add the butter first as it will start melting first & the chocolate chips will take more time & this difference in timing may cause problems.
Remove the melted chocolate when the surface becomes glossy & shiny & when the mixture is smooth & consistent. Keep stirring while melting the chocolate chips.
If the melted chocolate is already overheated, then pour it down in a cool bowl & mix more chocolate chips into it.
Keep stirring & mixing so that rest of the chocolate chips also melt & blend into a smooth chocolate mixture.
How to Melt Chocolate Kisses in a Microwave
Take the chocolate kisses out of their foil wrappers & cut the chocolate into tiny pieces or you can use them directly to melt in the microwave but it will take longer.
Keep it in a microwave-safe bowl, preferably something made of Pyrex glass, Borosilicate glass, ceramic.
Set the microwave at medium to high heat level at 50% power & heat the chocolate for 15 – 30 sec.
Stir the chocolate after every 15 sec from the center to the sides to prevent overheating & burning .
Heat it for an increment of 10 – 15 sec if the chocolate has not melted properly initially & after you have it ready, use it immediately, or else it will harden fast .
Do not exceed the temperature of 110°F while melting the chocolate or it will lose its consistency & won’t melt well.
Yes, melted chocolate chips with butter can be reheated in a microwave or a double boiler with no change in flavor or texture .
You can also add melted chocolate or more chocolate chips to the mix while reheating it.
If you are using a microwave to reheat the chocolate then heat it for 30 sec & keep stirring for an even & smooth melted chocolate .
You should use unclarified, unsalted butter at room temperature to melt chocolate chips in the microwave.
The less water percentage in clarified butter will leave just enough moisture to crystalize the chocolate chips & the melting will not be appropriately done .
Unsalted butter does not add any flavor or taste of its own so it helps to maintain the authenticity of the chocolate.
If the chocolate chips contain 55% -65% cacao then add 1 tablespoon of butter for every 2 ounces of chocolate chips. If the chocolate chips contain a high percentage of cacao, around 70% – 90%, then add 1½ tablespoons of butter for every 2 ounces of chocolate chips.
I hope this comprehensive article helped you in melting chocolate chips in the microwave with butter easily.
If you have any queries regarding the process, feel free to ask us.
Also, if you know any other methods or tips please let us know so we can add them to our article to make it even better!
Do share this with your family & friends who may want to melt chocolate chips in the microwave with butter & help them out too.