In this detailed guide on microwaving pizza I will teach you step by step how to microwave frozen pizza you have brought from the store or perhaps prepared at home.
The whole process will not only defrost your pizza but cook it perfectly as well.
Microwaving pizza is the most common and preferred way by many all over the world. Different food bloggers, chefs etc are always found recommending this process to save time.
Let’s not waste any time and jump directly into the recipe to get superbly cooked pizza for dinner.
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Frozen Pizza
- How to Prep Frozen Pizza before Microwaving
- How to Microwave Frozen Pizza
- Tips to Remember while Microwave Frozen Pizza
- Alternative Ways to Microwave Frozen Pizza
- Is it Safe to Microwave Frozen Pizza
- How to Make a Frozen Pizza Crispy in the Microwave
- How Long does it take to Microwave Frozen Pizza
How to Prep Frozen Pizza before Microwaving
There is no special preparation required to undertake microwaving frozen pizza.
All you need to do is take the pizza out of the freezer and bring it to your kitchen top. Remove all packaging and place it on a microwavable dish.
- Frozen pizza
- Microwave safe dish
- Putting the pizza in the microwave: After you have placed the pizza on the microwave safe dish, put it inside the microwave and turn it on.
- Adjusting the microwave settings: Put the microwave on high power and then set the timer. For a mini pizza it takes 3-5 mins and for a 10 inch pizza the cooking time is 5-7 mins.
For a standard size pizza i.e. 8-9 inch pizza, the cooking time is approx 6-10 mins. And for a 12 inch pizza set the timer at 7-11 mins.
The other kind of pizzas like the French bread pizza of the sub pizzas take 7-8 mins to completely defrost.
- Checking in between the process: Let's assume we are cooking a standard size pizza. You should heat it straight for the first 4 mins.
Take the dish out and check if the pizza is well cooked and all the frozen parts have regained their softness or not. If not put it back in the microwave and heat for 30 secs more.
Repeating the cycle: Once the first 4 mins have passed, heat the pizza. Check for any hard parts in the pizza. If found, put it back and heat at 30 secs increments.
Temperature:Use high power
Check out this video byDad’s Simple Cooking on how to microwave a frozen pizza at home:
Tips to Remember while Microwave Frozen Pizza
While attempting to reheat microwave frozen store bought or homemade pizza using a microwave or any other means there are certain points that should be taken care of for safe and better reheating.
If these pointers are strictly followed it yields better results.
- The pizza should never be left unattended in the microwave for long else the sides may burn and it will not be as tasty.
- Pizzas cooked in the microwave tend to look uncooked because microwaves do not have the browning function like an oven.
- Microwaving frozen pizza does not change its taste but the consistency may alter. This is so because microwaves use radiation and not heat hence making the pizza soggy or dry.
- Every store bought pizza has instructions written on its box. Strictly abide by the time and temperature mentioned there.
- Do not use a pizza stone in a microwave because it will not be of any use.
- Avoid using aluminium foil or metal inside the microwave as it involves the risk of causing sparks and destroying your heating appliance.
- Try to follow the cooking instructions mentioned in the packing of the pizza.
- To prevent the crust from getting soggy you may put something between the pizza and the microwave safe dish. This will help the heat escape from the bottom and prevent the pizza from getting soggy.
- Store bought frozen pizzas usually come with a special microwave disk for the pizza to be cooked on. Make use of it to get the best results.
Alternative Ways to Microwave Frozen Pizza
There are other ways to reheat or cook frozen pizza by using a toaster oven or a skillet or simply an oven. Preheat the oven to 350˚F and place your pizza on a baking sheet and put it inside the oven for 20-30 mins. To reheat on a toaster oven, place it inside for one or two cycles in medium heat. Using a skillet demands oiling it first and then placing the pieces on it and then covering it. Heat it for 3-6 mins.
The best way to reheat frozen pizza is to use an oven. Preheat it at 350˚F. Take your pizza slices and place them on a baking sheet with gaps between each piece.
Lightly spray some water on it and bake this for 20-30 mins.
Check out this video by SolidJeffro W to know how to cook frozen pizza in an oven:
If you choose to reheat using a toaster oven then simply put the pieces inside and reheat them for two or cycles on medium heat.
Using a skillet or a griddle is also very easy. Spray some olive oil on the skillet and put the pizza slices on it. Cover it with a saucer and heat it for 2-3 mins to get a soft crust.
For a griddle you need to put the pieces on the cold griddle and cook them at 200˚F for about 20 mins.
Is it Safe to Microwave Frozen Pizza
Yes, it is safe to microwave frozen pizza as long as you are abiding by the rules laid down by the USDA. The leftover pizza when microwaved should reach an internal temperature of 165˚F else it is not recommended to consume. Also you should be keeping in mind the tips I have mentioned above.
While opting to microwave frozen pizza it is very essential to heat it only according to what is mentioned in the label of its package.
The cooking time should be paid close attention to. If you are preparing the pizza at home you may refer to the timings mentioned above for different types of pizza.
Never leave the pizza unattended in the microwave for too long to prevent burnt sides.
If you follow the guidelines laid down by the USDA it is completely safe to consume microwaved pizza. Make sure you are reheating leftover pizza to 165˚F.
How to Make a Frozen Pizza Crispy in the Microwave
Use the dual method that involves usage of both a stovetop and a microwave to get a crispy pizza easily at home. First, microwave it for a while and then place it on an oiled pan on the stovetop to cook the crust for a few mins. Put this back in the microwave again and then repeat heating it on a pan.
If you want your frozen pizza to have a crisp when reheated you can simply make use of both a microwave and a stove top while heating it.
Take the pizza, place it on a microwave safe dish and put it inside the microwave for a few mins.
While this is going on, take apan and pour some oil in it. Place it on the stovetop and start heating it. Now take the pizza out of the microwave and put it on the pan.
Heat it for a few mins to get a crispy crust. Again place the pizza on a microwave safe dish and heat it for a few mins back in the microwave.
For the last step, you need to take the pizza out of the microwave and heat it back on the pan.
How Long does it take to Microwave Frozen Pizza
Microwaving frozen pizza takes around 5-11 mins according to its size and also the microwave power wattage. Small or mini pizzas take the least amount of time to reheat while large pizzas might take up to 12 mins to produce a properly cooked crust.
If you are microwaving store bought pizza the timing required and method will all be mentioned in its label.
But if you have prepared your own pizza then you need to know the exact time each type of pizza demands.
A 8-9 inch pizza takes 4-6 mins to cook. While a 10-11 inch pizza takes 5-7 mins to cook. 11-12 inch pizza might take up to 7-11 mins to completely cook.
A French bread or thick crust pizza will consume 7-8 mins cooking time. Mini pizzas take 5-7 mins to cook.
These microwave timings are mentioned assuming that you have a 1100 wattage microwave on high settings.
To store leftover pizzas after you have had your fill do not just stack the entire packing inside the refrigerator.
Instead place one slice on top of the other on a dish with a paper towel in between every piece. Cover this entirely with a plastic wrap and then you can proceed to store it in the refrigerator.
According to the FDA you can store pizza only for 2 or 3 days only. It is best if consumed within this time else it might get stale and cause food poisoning.
I hope this detailed guide has helped you microwave frozen pizza at your place with ease using the microwave.
If you have any queries feel free to let us know. We would love your feedback and use it to enrich our work further.
Do share this with your friends and family who love pizzas to help them out as well.