In this A-Z guide on how to microwave whole apples, I will be teaching you a great way to bake your apple for a perfect dessert for your family.
This method is widely used all over the world by various food bloggers and renowned chefs. Even I use this process to make desserts at home very often.
So let’s dive right into the recipe
- Quick Answer: How to Microwave Whole Apples
- How to Prep Whole Apples Before Microwaving
- How to Microwave Whole Apples
- Tips to Remember while Microwaving Whole Apples
- Alternate ways to Microwave Whole Apples
- How to Store Microwaved Apples
- Is it Safe to Microwave Whole Apples
- How Long does it take to Microwave Whole Apples
How to Prep Whole Apples Before Microwaving
Rinse the apples well and wipe them clean. Core as many apples according to your need keeping in mind the size of the microwave-safe- bowl you will be using.
now peel off 1/2 of the skin. Use the stuffing of your preference and thumb it in.
I usually prefer chopped pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, some frozen berries, nutmeg and butter.
- 4 whole apples
- Brown sugar (maple or date syrup works wonders too)
- Chopped pecans
- Frozen berries
- Microwave safe bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Placing the apples in the microwave: Once you have filled the apples with the stuffing you prepared , top it with some butter according to your taste.
Now place the apples in a microwave safe bowl. Use the plastic wrap to cover it and leave a small gap for the steam to pass through.
Put this inside the microwave and turn it on.
- Adjusting the microwave setting: After turning on the microwave, put it on full power. Set the timer to maximum 6 mins .
- Ensuring the apple is properly thawed: When the timer ticks off, take the bowl out and check if it's soft enough.
This can be done using a fork by inserting it slightly in the thickest part of the apples. If you are easily able to pierce it, know that it's done.
Once you get the apples according to the desired softness allow it to cool for at least 5 mins.
Temperature: full power
Check out this video by Preppy Kitchen on how to bake whole apples in the microwave
Tips to Remember while Microwaving Whole Apples
When you attempt to microwave whole apples you should always keep certain points in mind for safety and precautions. Some are listed below:
- It is best to use apples of the same size when you are microwaving more than one so that all of them are heated evenly and done at the same time.
- The microwave bowl you are using should be big enough to hold all the apples.
- The microwave should be put in full power for better heating
- Remember to leave a little gap when you are covering the bowl with the plastic wrap so that steam does not collect inside . This may ruin the taste.
- Do not at any cost put a whole apple in the microwave without coring and peeling it. There is a high risk of it exploding because a lot of moisture is usually trapped under the thick skin.
- If you are using berries, especially blueberries, it’s better to use their frozen form. This will ensure that it does not get overcooked in the microwave during the baking process.
- To cook more than one apple you should be increasing your cook time by 1 minute per apple.
- Before using raisins in the stuffing, it should have been soaked in a bowl of hot water until it was plump.
- Always use a microwave safe bowl and not a plate or any other dish. This is so because when taken out the stuffing might roll out and fall on your hand burning the skin.
- The easiest way to core an apple properly keeping the bottom intact is by making use of a knife and then scooping out the insides with the help of a spoon.
- Try to place each apple at least 5 inches apart from one another.
- Using hot water to keep the bottom of the apple submerged when baking apples in an oven is highly recommendable. This keeps the apples soft and prevents the base from burning.
Alternate ways to Microwave Whole Apples
Sometimes you might not have a microwave at hand or it might have just stopped working. Don’t worry you can still bake apples at ease. Preheat your oven to 375°F. Core and stuff your apples with any stuffing of your choice. Pour hot water in the dish before placing the apples. Now bake it for 30-40 mins.
To bake apples using an oven you need to preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Core the apples with a knife and scrape out the insides using a spoon.
Now fill this with the stuffing you prepared. Boil water in a pan and pour this hot water in a microwave safe bowl.
Do not fill it entirely, the water level should be filled to the point where only the bottom of the apples are submerged.
Instead of using hot water you can also wrap your apples in different foils. This will enhance the heating process.
Place the apples in the bowl. Put this inside the oven and heat for 30-40 mins.
After the given time period the apples will turn brown and the skin will be wrinkled. Now wear your microwave gloves or use a towel to take out the bowl.
Allow it to cool on your stove top or cooling rack. Slice the apples if you wish and serve!
Check out this video by Great Depression Cooking on how to bake apples using an oven
How to Store Microwaved Apples
If you have cooked in large quantities you can opt to store the leftover dessert in the refrigerator. Just pack it in an air-tight container and put it in the fridge for 4 days maximum. This can be taken out and reheated when you want to serve it again.
To store your microwaved apples for a few days before eating it again you need to put it in an air-tight container. Keep this in the refrigerator.
Remember you can only store apples in the refrigerator for a maximum of 4 days. If stored beyond that it might stale and cause food poisoning if consumed.
Is it Safe to Microwave Whole Apples
Whole apple can surely be microwaved if done the right way. Never put an apple inside the microwave without peeling it as it may explode. It is best if first cored and then peeled or cut into slices before nuking.
Apples contain a lot of moisture under their thick skin. If microwaved without fist peeling it the fruity pulp will explode inside the microwave creating a mess.
Always core your apples and then peel them. You can also slice them into pieces.
Peeling is necessary as it allows the steam to escape releasing any pressure that may have been built up inside during the process of microwaving.
How Long does it take to Microwave Whole Apples
When you are microwaving whole apples use full power. Bake it for 10 mins max depending on the number of apples. Microwaving 4 apples takes about 8 mins.
To microwave 4 apples it usually takes around 8 mins. The timing may vary depending on the variety of apple, wattage of the microwave and even the number and quality of apples.
If your apple is not cooked within this time limit you can put it back in the microwave and heat it for 1-2 mins.
It is best to use Fuji, Gala or Cortland apples as they are firm which will prevent the stuffing from falling out.
You can also use tart-sweet apples like Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Pink Lady, Empire. When using these apples you can cut off on the amount of sugar in the stuffing or even reduce the amount of maple syrup you are pouring on the dessert.
Before serving baked apples make sure it is cooled down. You can pour the juices that were in the bottom of the dish after the microwaving process.
Or simply pour some maple or date syrup on top. A serving of ice cream on the side can make it tastier and more attractive for your guests or even your children.
I hope this detailed guide has helped you bake apples at your place with ease.
If you have any queries feel free to let us know. We would love your feedback and use it to enrich our work further.
Do share this with your friends and family who love microwaved apples to help them out as well.