Marinating chicken is a great way to add flavor and moisture to the meat. It is also a good way to tenderize the chicken, making it easier to cook.
When it comes to grilling chicken, there is no denying that marinating is key to juicy, flavorful results.
But all too often, people make mistakes when it comes to this key step.
Common Mistakes while Marinating Chicken
There are many ways to marinate chicken, but using citrus juice, wine, mustard, or soy sauce is a great way to start.
Chicken is a blank canvas and can take on whatever flavors you choose to add. Just be sure to not overcook the chicken, as it can dry out quickly.
Here are the most common mistakes people make when marinating chicken, and how to avoid them.
- Not using enough marinade – If you don’t use enough marinade, your chicken will be dry and bland. You need to use enough marinade to coat all of the surfaces of your chicken so that the flavor can penetrate the chicken. If you don’t use enough marinade, you will be left with a dry, bland meal.
- Not marinating for long enough – If you don’t marinate chicken for long enough, the flavors won’t have a chance to fully develop and penetrate the meat. This can result in a bland, unappetizing dish. chicken needs to be marinated for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight, in order to achieve the best flavor.
- Not using the right type of marinade – The wrong type of marinade can ruin chicken. If the marinade is too acidic, it will dry out the chicken and make it tough. If the marinade is too sweet, it can make the chicken sticky and hard to cook. The best way to avoid this is to use a marinade that is specifically designed for chicken.
- Not using fresh chicken – that’s a no-brainer. Using fresh chicken will for sure elevate the taste of the recipe you cook.
- Not properly sealing the chicken in the marinade – The main issue with not properly sealing the chicken in the marinade is that the chicken will not be properly coated. This will result in uneven cooking and potentially dry or overcooked chicken.
Choosing Great Marinades for Chicken
There are a lot of questions regarding which marinades are great for chicken and how to use them. Here are some detailed guides answering them –
How Long to Marinate Chicken in Pickle Juice? – Can you can use pickle juice for marinating chicken? This is what you need to read.
Can you Marinate Chicken in Regular Milk? – Is Milk a good enough marinade ? (the answer will surprise you!)
Can I Use Heavy Cream to Marinate Chicken? – Is heavy cream an effective marinade for chicken? How to use it?
Is Marinating Chicken in Vinegar a good choice? What about Alfredo sauce?
How to effectively use buttermilk to marinate chicken or chicken breast with some great tricks and tips.
If you are looking for some great marinades for chicken, here is a great video with 5 such options –
Marinating Chicken – Tips, Tricks & Queries
The world of marinating chicken is fascinating, you can experiment to get the desired results, but that also means there are an equal number of queries on how to do things right.
This section is devoted to those tips, tricks and queries you may have in your mind marinating chicken –
Can You Marinate Frozen Chicken? – A very common question, given most of us use frozen meat for cooking.
Can You Marinate Frozen Chicken While It Thaws? – Can you save time doing this, or it’s not worthwhile?
Does Chick-fil-A Marinate Their Chicken in Pickle Juice? – Who is not fascinated by their amazing chicken? Is Pickle Juice its secret?
Can you marinate another meat with chicken? This can save time, but is it something you should do? Find out.
If you are wondering how long you should marinate chicken wings, our guide should help.