This is a detailed guide covering everything you need to know to marinate the steak in lime juice.
Let’s dive right in
How Long Can You Marinate The Steak In Lime Juice?
According to USDA, you can marinate the steak in lime juice for up to 2 days (48 hours). Most recipes would require shorter time periods. Bigger cuts would need a longer marination time than smaller ones.
The steak would still be safe to consume after two days, but according to USDA, “it is possible that the marinade can start to break down the fibers of the meat, causing it to become mushy“.
This is even more relevant while using strong marinades such as lime juice. With a pH of around 2, lime juice is one of the strong marinades you can use to tenderize meat.
This means it would be acting faster than others on the meat.
Table: pH of Common Acids used in Marinades
|Apple Cider Vinegar||3.0 - 3.2|
|Beer||3.7 - 4.1|
|Bourbon||3.7 - 4.0|
|Butter Milk||4.4 - 4.8|
|Carbonated Drinks||3.0 - 4.0|
|Coffee||4.9 - 5.1|
|Cranberry Juice||2.6 - 2.8|
|Grapefruit Juice||3.0 - 3.8|
|Heavy Cream||6.5 - 6.8|
|Lemon juice||2.0 - 2.6|
|Lime juice||2.0 - 2.4|
|Orange Juice||3.3 - 4.2|
|Pickle Juice||3.2 - 3.7|
|Red Wine||3.0 - 4.0|
|White Vinegar||2.3 - 2.5|
|Yogurt||4.4 - 4.8|
Things To Take Care Of While Using Lime Juice Marinade For Steak
Here are a few things to take care of –
- Use plastic / glass bowls or freezer bags to keep the marinade. Do not use reactive cookware.
- Never marinate at room temperature; always use the fridge for marination. Do not keep it in the freezer.
- Ensure that the marinade covers the steak nicely and evenly.
- Take out before 2 days
You can use the marinade for cooking or just discard it.
Why Is Lime Juice Great For Marinating Steak?
Lime juice is a popular choice for marinating meat. The benefits of marinating steak in lime juice are as follows:
- Lime juice helps to tenderize the steak, making it more juicy and flavorful.
- The acidity in lime juice also helps to break down the tough fibers in the steak, making it more tender. This may not be the case with milder marinades or they would need a longer time to do so.
- Lime juice gives the steak a nice flavor that is both tangy and fresh. Of course, if you do not want such a flavor, lime juice is not the right choice for you.
- Marinating the steak in lime juice also helps to keep it moist during cooking, preventing it from drying out.
In the end, the choice of acid depends upon the recipe you plan to prepare. Always use the right marinade for the best results!
Can You Marinate Steaks For Too Long?
Yes, you can marinate for too long if you keep it string marinade for more than 2 days. There is a good chance of the steak getting mushy.
Lime juice is a strong marinade and thus can act on the steak mush faster than other weaker marinades.
Recipe Of Lime Juice Marinade With Soy For Steak
There are so many ways one can prepare lime juice marinade – primarily based on your taste preferences.
Here is one quick and simple lime juice marinade recipe for steak –
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Ground coriander
- 1 flank steak
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade in a glass bowl.
- Taste to ensure lime juice and sauce balance each other, add some if you think one is overpowering the other
- Put steak flank in the bowl and cover it and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours, up to 24 hours.
I hope this quick guide helped you with how to use lime juice to marinate steak with perfection.
if you have any tips and tricks to share, please drop them in the comments section below
Do share it with friends and family who love steak!